1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
Those are the two bolts that hold up the GT steering column. These you have to either slot the head, or drill the head off, to drop the steering column to pull the dash out. But, I don't think these will sell, as most who have done this operation have replaced these shear bolts with regular hex head bolts, as it's a 99 44/100% chance that you'll have to take the column down again and you don't want to be going through the slotting/drilling process everytime.;)

·
2,054 Posts
I absolutely hate those stinkin' bolts!
Maybe I didn't make myself clear; I HATE THOSE BOLTS!
They shear off. Then My son & I had to lay on our backs drilling through to get the steering column to drop.

I've got one bolt left intact that I keep handy to show people what a frickin' stupid idea it is to install these things.

Perhaps I'm not expressing myself properly. If the engineer who decided these would be a good idea is paying attention, maye you could ......

I'm gonna go have a drink and cool down.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Ah, one of the great mysteries of Opel GT's (and I think the Kadett used the same system). This has been debated ad nauseum on this board before, but why would ANYONE install a new stupid shear bolt after going to all the trouble to get it out? What kind of car show judge would take points off for having installed a proper steering column bolt instead of those devil spawn bolts? Do ya' think someone is going to steal the bloody steering column? Is there a misguided soul out there that believes that the shear bolts in some fashion contribute to the energy absorbing design of the steering column (which they do NOT!). Doesn't ANYONE know the home address of the stinkin' engineer (and I use that term in the kindest of meanings, being one myself) who came up with the idea of having to drill out two shear bolts in order to change a burnt out dash bulb, so we can recommend that the Darwin Society take care of him IMMEDIATELY!

That said, I moved this thread to the "Steering etc." heading. And I tracked the bolts on eBay, because frankly, I may want to buy them just to see what they look like. Twenty five years of Opeling, and I have never seen an intact steering column shear bolt. Curious minds need to see one in person.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The 'only' possible reason I can fathom the original engineers would use something like this would be so that if you did in fact have to drop the column to replace a bulb, etc...would be that you had it professionally done and more shear bolts put in so that you didn't use a normal bolt that might come loose driving down the road if not properly tightened.

It's just a wild theory but maybe they were overly thinking safety at the time?

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
think of them as a tamper proof torque bolt
they were common in europe in the late 50,s onwards as a way of stopping theft as you could not get them off quickly (used on ignition barrels to)
they were cheap as they are just a bolt and quick to fit ,just spin them up until the torque shears the head and as anyone who has tried will know hard to get out in a hurry
lets face it all manufacturers are only concerned about making things and profit so if its quick cheap and needs no special tools to fit they will go for it

·
2,054 Posts
Shear Bolt Design

Having investigated industrial failures for insurance companies, more often than not, its not the higher-level thought process or noble reason that results in stupid designs, but rather mistakes.

Take these shear bolts, please, take mine. Chances are a senior engineer told a junior engineer, fresh out of college, to specify shear bolts for that steering column. The intent may have been to have a bolt capable of shearing off from the pressure of someone's chest striking the steering wheel. But the junior engineer may not have understood the intent, not known what a shear bolt was, and gone to a catalog/library and pulled up a spec sheet for a shear bolt used in the construction industry. Its a small detail and the senior may not have followed up on it.

And Now Everyone Of Us Has To Deal With Drilling THE DAMN SOB THINGS OUT OF HIS/HER DASH, WHILE LYING UPSIDE DOWN WITH BACK CRAMPS AND METAL SHAVINGS IN THE EYES, AND DROP LIGHT BURNS ON THE FOREHEAD AND CHEEKS. AFTER SEVERAL HOURS OF THIS WE SNAP, GRAB THAT HIGH-POWERED RIFLE AND CLIMB THE TOWER ON A MAJOR CAMPUS. I NEED A DRINK.

Anyway, perhaps it really was designed that way with a purpose in mind. ???

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
kwilford said:
Doesn't ANYONE know the home address of the stinkin' engineer (and I use that term in the kindest of meanings, being one myself)
I actually know the guy who claims to be the one who designed the steering and suspension for the Kadett and GT. He is a Mechanical Engineering Professor at my school.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Chris, please do the engineering world a HUGE favour, and ...

No, that would be unprofessional to "off" a fellow Engineer. Hmm, maybe make him do penance by asking him to change a dash light bulb in a GT that still has the shear bolts in place. Or at least ask him what he was smoking when he came up with the idea of shear bolts.

Although frankly, I doubt any one engineer came up with the complete steering/suspension design for the Kadett/GT. It smacks of a COMMITTEE!

·
Registered
20 Posts
this will get you going

hehe, i just bought my very first gt this january and i have been taking it all apart in order to "fix" things. well anyways, this 69 gt still had the shear bolts in full order, but what was even better for me was that there was this weird angle plate thing blocking one of them. it almost looked like it was held on by the bolt and then it came straight down and then hooked over the head. anyways, wtih this plate (more like a flat bar) in tact, i had no idea where the head was really at and so i had to take my grinder to it... if you get mad about drilling those crap out, try blasting yourself with sparks from a 4.5" grinder for about an hour while holding it backwards with you elbows bent the wrong way just to get the proper angle up there to do any good. oh yeah, and after i got that thing off i noticed quite a large slice in my dash pad thingy where i coulnt see the disk as it ate into the foam. but you know what... it was all worth it, because after i drilled the bolts and "easy outed" them, i felt like a whole new person. and then i put the same bolts back in, just for a challenge next time.

it was fun the first time and it will be better the next... im a freak and i love it:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.