Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I'm curious too. I'm not a mechanic. Just my experience. Both the webers 32/36 and the 38 still need allot of modifications to get just right. If you have to pay a machanic the money adds up quick. Still not totally happy with my 38. Won't idle properly until it's really warmed up. With the money I've spent on the carbs I could of bought the Fuel injection. So if this system is good & hassle free I would seriously consider it.

·
Über Genius
9,529 Posts
I have two FI systems.
One can (semi)installed on the car. It looked like a chore to get it in there and the cowl under the windshield had to be modified. I can see how engine vibration could be an issue if the engine moved too much.

The wiring, on mine, looks quite complex and I'm not looking forward to putting it all together but many have said they will walk me through it when it's time so I'm not worried there.

The downside is the way the thing fires. You have a set, at the factory, length of fuel flow. That means that if you are running too rich the only recourse you have is to buy different injectors. Same if you are running too lean. That would be fine except that you are back to the original "jetting" that you have to do with a Weber. And injectors don't have much of a range of injector sizes, plus they can get spendy.

Having said all that, I can't wait to fire up one of my GTs with a FI system. Especially the modified 2.2

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
The price of the LE is very nice.
The best way to adjust fuel mixture is via the ect sensor.
A 290 ohm resistor will fatten her up quite a bit.
I've read that the injectors are good for ~150hp.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
The price of the LE is very nice.
The best way to adjust fuel mixture is via the ect sensor.
A 290 ohm resistor will fatten her up quite a bit.
I've read that the injectors are good for ~150hp.
150 is about right for a stock Opel LE system, the AFM bottoms out. We fudged the fuel pressure and got it to run ok(ish) with 175 hp but is was a bit rich at anything but full throttle

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts
Has anyone on here bought/installed this FI system? Trying to decide whether to buy the FI system or go with the 32/36 Carb as my solex is a POS.
Have installed numerous EFI systems into both Opels and other GM cars.
The Opel EFI is pretty easy to install. There are only about 6 wires that need to be connected. The biggest challenge is updating the chassis and fuel tank.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
There are multiple ways to go EFI on an Opel GT..

The LE Injection is the easiest to install and gets the best performance when looking at bang for the buck, and just overall general reliability and performance. I.E. your not looking to squeeze every single HP or split sec out of your GT you just want it to run smoother and more reliably like a modern car. It's better than the older 75 injection in that and a few other regards.

Its also (Unlike what some would lead you to believe) as adjustable as a Carb.. I also feel its more reliable, faster starting and overall smoother than any of the carb setups I have tried.

Does it give you as much power as a side draft or some of these other carbs.. maybe yes, maybe no.. depends on if you can get them tuned in and jetted properly, etc.. etc..

Can you get "more" out of a custom EFI Tuned Port Injection.. sure. Your also going to pay for it, and there's a learning curve involved too.

In this thread I show how to tune, and provide all the part numbers and such to convert a 75 injection L-Jet into a 2.0L style LE injection.

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/fuel-i...injection-your-opel-all-one-concise-post.html

At minimum if you go with the GT Source injection, your guaranteed it all works. The bonus of my thread if you go with a stock 2.0L LE Injection, most parts needed to repair the European LE injection are available in the United States. Just have to know the cross references. I had to go through that because I bought my LE injection from Europe and all most all of it was crap.

This was install build into my Kadett.. the GT has more room in the front so its easier to do the airbox.

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/factory-fuel-injection/42962-2-0l-le-injection.html

As for throttle, I am sure Gill has a solution for the GT.. the Kadett wasn't too hard but required a bit of fabrication.

Long story short.. If what you want is a simple "turn the key and it starts" that works well with your basic tuned 2.0L motor.. I feel the Basic Opel EFI is the perfect combination of cost to performance and reliability.

Reactions: MikeNotigan

·
7,574 Posts
Is the FI in their catalog? What is the price? Will it work good on low compression 73GT engine? Thanks:haha:
Look at first link above George..

It will work on any Opel motor.

·
7,574 Posts
I have used the 2.0 EFI on a GT, The Spyder actually, and it worked great. Its a lot better system than the 75 EFI unit we received. Also bear in mind, you will possibly need to replace the injectors and the hoses as these are take off units.
Available at Rock Auto :

83-91 VW Vanagon 1.9L - $24.79 ( UltraPower 4MFI18 / Bosch - 0280150206 ) are the same as the EUROPEAN 2.0 LE Injectors ( These are NOT to be used on 75 injection..)

The first link has all the cross references most are 84 VW Vanagon (1.9L), 84 BMW 318i or 84 Renault Alliance.

·
Super Moderator
14,163 Posts
I appreciate all the help everyone, Ive decided to go with a mega squirt system as i plan on installing a turbo, and id rather not try and find someone can tune the LE system.
Yup. The LE Jetronic can't really be 'tuned' for forced induction anyway. Only tricked. Plus you'll max out the MAF anyway. Better off going programmable.

Find yourself a stock 1975 EFI intake, modify it for modern o-ring injectors and a proper fuel rail, fit an SR20 Nissan throttle body to it and Megasquirt away....

Reactions: wrench459 (R.I.P.)

·
Super Moderator
14,163 Posts
3/4 id should work just fine.:)
Teehee, sure, with a GT40 turbo.....?

Most likely -8an (1/2") or -10an (5/8") will be all you ever need in a GT.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
No serious I like using a 3/4 ID fuel rail..even on N/A engines.
The supply and return lines can be much smaller tho.

During tip-in a nice volume of fuel just sitting around in the rail helps to get things going IMO.

·
7,574 Posts
I appreciate all the help everyone, Ive decided to go with a mega squirt system as i plan on installing a turbo, and id rather not try and find someone can tune the LE system.
Well yea.. in that case you need Megasquirt.. ( See I will admit it has its applications :) )

Might want to pick Bob, Wrench and a few others brains.. because thats going to be a lot of work.. :)

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
.... because thats going to be a lot of work.. :)
The tuning not that big of a deal with a turbo,supercharger or nitrous.
Fitting ..hard parts I'll pass to RB.

EDIT:
I just had a brain fart
Most of you don't know what I'm talking about.
Hard parts?...soft parts?

Let's start with the so called Soft parts.
This includes things like fuel rails
Fuel pressure regulators
Fuel injector bungs
You know the easy stuff.

Now for the Hard parts
Turbo exhaust manifold...damn
Intake manifold...for a turbo ...crap!

Easy stuff...:)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts