Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Vendor
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A discussion in a different thread led me to wonder about which features were optional in the GT production run (US spec cars). I know that the 1.9L engine and auto trans were optional, but I wasn't sure about things like rear window defroster and other stuff. Obviously, exterior and interior colors were options from the factory. I know Buick dealers were fond of adding various geegaws and doodads at the dealership like vinyl tops, AC, body side molding, etc. (see pamphlet below) Unlike today's cars, however, there doesn't seem to be a lot of factory available options for the US spec GTs.
Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting Font

·
Can Opeler
4,040 Posts
A discussion in a different thread led me to wonder about which features were optional in the GT production run (US spec cars). I know that the 1.9L engine and auto trans were optional, but I wasn't sure about things like rear window defroster and other stuff. Obviously, exterior and interior colors were options from the factory. I know Buick dealers were fond of adding various geegaws and doodads at the dealership like vinyl tops, AC, body side molding, etc. (see pamphlet below) Unlike today's cars, however, there doesn't seem to be a lot of factory available options for the US spec GTs.
View attachment 446362
See this thread. PDF Scans of Original Opel Documents & Catalogs
I have lots of PDFs with this kind of stuff. The sellers manuals have everything from tissue boxes to AC kits.

Reactions: rrossjr

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I recall from my experience as a make-ready mechanic at Royal Buick & Opel in Cherry Hill NJ, summer of 1969, that "options" is a bit of a misnomer. Buying an Opel was not quite like buying one of the Buicks, where you could order a car built to your specifications if you did not like what was on the dealer's lot. With the Opel, you essentially got what the dealer had. Some of the cars came over with heated rear glass, others did not. I only recall making two or three GTs ready for delivery that summer (which, as it happened, was a lousy year for auto sales of all sorts) and I do not recall any dealer-added options. If a customer wanted an Opel in a particular configuration that was not available on the lot (color, heated rear glass, engine) the dealer might find one at another dealer and make arrangements. If it was early in the model run, the dealer might have an idea of what was being shipped to him, but other than that, he got what they sent.

The other Opels, not the GTs, did have a number of dealer-installed items including radio as they would come over fairly well stripped down. In 1973, I purchased a Manta Luxus with the Blue Max trim and I got into a huge fight with the dealer in White Plains, NY over, among other things, the low quality of the radio that had been installed. This discussion was eventually settled in the office of Buick's zone manager.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,368 Posts
My 1972 parts GT has a rear window defroster. That is the only special options I have on my GTs

·
Vendor
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kyler. I forgot about that thread. Lots of good information there. According to this page, the 1.9L engine appears to be the only available upgrade in 1970 (the auto trans, heated rear glass and other stuff doesn't show up as standard or optional)
Mike, thanks for your insights to the dealer stuff. I know a lot of things like AC could be added at the dealership.

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The problem with the GT of course was that major surgery was involved for almost anything, so therefore they made lots of stuff standard, adding a rear window defroster on some, not on others, but doing this at the factory. I do not recall any GTs with air conditioning. If a customer wanted that, I suppose it was available, but that ticket would not be given to the make-ready mechanic. But, unlike the Buicks, even the wheels and tires were standard. Back in those days, a customer might buy a Buick but request different wheels and/or tires. We would have to go out in the back lot, find a Buick with the wheels the customer wanted, bring the car in and make the swap. Occasionally, the mechanics doing this would forget to swap out the spare tires.

·
1,799 Posts
In 1970 my 1.9 engine was a $55.00 option .........
I see that my Member flag has changed back to the US flag, it was the Italian flag while I was there.

·
Über Genius
9,881 Posts
My 69 had a sunroof and a trailer hitch.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The worst error that I have seen, as I have noted elsewhere, is in the 1970 FSM that only has two wiring diagrams for the GT. One is labeled simply "Wiring Diagram GT" on page 120-42, while the one on page 120-44 purports to be "Wiring Diagram GT Automatic Transmission". In reality, the second drawing appears to be for the European version of the car, as there are vast differences involving turn signal and parking lamps, with references to long range headlamps and fog lamps.

·
1,936 Posts
I bought a red 1973 Opel Gt off the show room floor with less than 20 miles on the clock. It had the rear window defrost, that I think at the time was a 100.00 option. Total price right around $3800.00. At the time ac was available but I was advised the low HP made it less than desirable.

·
Über Genius
9,881 Posts
From the dealer or PO?
OK, You got me.
Not the PO. I did them myself.
But there was, indeed, a dealer option for a trailer hitch. As easy as the sunroof was, it could, or should, have been a dealer option.

Reactions: rrossjr

·
Can Opeler
4,040 Posts
OK, You got me.
Not the PO. I did them myself.
But there was, indeed, a dealer option for a trailer hitch. As easy as the sunroof was, it could, or should, have been a dealer option.
It was an option on other opels. My Kadett factory service manual has an entire section on installation and maintenance of it.

·
Vendor
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks Keith,
That's exactly what I was looking for.

For the 1970 GTs (Model 93/94):
Code A3 would get you the 1900 performance package for $99.26
Code B would get you the auto trans for another $189.65.
Code M would get you the rear window defogger for $20.06.

For 1973 GTs:
Code B would get you the auto trans for $210.
Code F (whitewall tires) were $26.
Code L Tinted windshield was $25 and tinted windshield and rear glass was $36 (curiously, also code L).
Code M was the rear window defogger which would set you back $32.

I think those were all the factory options for the GTs. The list of dealer options is a lot longer, and perhaps varies from year to year and dealer to dealer.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Does anyone know if they supplied a different alternator on the GT’s with rear window defrost?
I’ve been wondering how many amps the rear window defrost just by itself uses? On a rainy or snowy night it seems that you might tax the battery charge by exceeding the alternator output. Lord knows without those added accessories I’ve seen my amp light start to glow on the gauge, headlights on, wiper motor & blower for the heater going full.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts