Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Vendor
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Does anyone know if they supplied a different alternator on the GT’s with rear window defrost?
I’ve been wondering how many amps the rear window defrost just by itself uses? On a rainy or snowy night it seems that you might tax the battery charge by exceeding the alternator output. Lord knows without those added accessories I’ve seen my amp light start to glow on the gauge, headlights on, wiper motor & blower for the heater going full.
The 1970 pic that Keith posted seems to indicate that the GT models already came with the "upgraded" alternators, so the defogger option was cheaper ($20.06 vs $30.62 for other models)

·
Opeler
1,636 Posts
I bought my '73 GT new in '73 and it had a luggage rack already installed on it by the dealer. It was a Manta rack that could be nicely fitted to the GT by slightly bending the mounting points and this particular dealer routinely installed them on the GT's that he sold. Actually it looked pretty nice on there, as it added some bulk to the rear end of the car and kept it from looking so lightweight and weak.

This dealer also had vinyl roofs locally installed on some of the GT's that they sold, but I never cared for that. They were just looking for ways to boost the price of a low-margin car.

The salesman said that the dealer could install a GM style ac for ~$800 ,or that he could get a local ARA install shop to put in a custom GT ac kit for about $450, or that he could get me an ARA kit for dealer cost (~$225) if I wanted to install it myself. I got the kit and installed it myself. The ARA kit worked ok but like all of the GT kits with the console ducts, there was the problem of getting enough airflow through them. The York compressor also took up a lot of available underwood space and slightly rubbed the underside of the hood. It also felt like the motor died when that big compressor kicked on. Years later when the smaller Sanden compressors came out, I replaced the York with a Sander 508.

Another thing that I remember about this particular Opel salesman was that he referred to whatever car that he was trying to sell you as a "rattlesnake" or other creature. " This lil' rattlesnake will run like a scalded dog".:unsure:

·
Registered
1970 gt
16 Posts
I bought my '73 GT new in '73 and it had a luggage rack already installed on it by the dealer. It was a Manta rack that could be nicely fitted to the GT by slightly bending the mounting points and this particular dealer routinely installed them on the GT's that he sold. Actually it looked pretty nice on there, as it added some bulk to the rear end of the car and kept it from looking so lightweight and weak.

This dealer also had vinyl roofs locally installed on some of the GT's that they sold, but I never cared for that. They were just looking for ways to boost the price of a low-margin car.

The salesman said that the dealer could install a GM style ac for ~$800 ,or that he could get a local ARA install shop to put in a custom GT ac kit for about $450, or that he could get me an ARA kit for dealer cost (~$225) if I wanted to install it myself. I got the kit and installed it myself. The ARA kit worked ok but like all of the GT kits with the console ducts, there was the problem of getting enough airflow through them. The York compressor also took up a lot of available underwood space and slightly rubbed the underside of the hood. It also felt like the motor died when that big compressor kicked on. Years later when the smaller Sanden compressors came out, I replaced the York with a Sander 508.

Another thing that I remember about this particular Opel salesman was that he referred to whatever car that he was trying to sell you as a "rattlesnake" or other creature. " This lil' rattlesnake will run like a scalded dog".:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
3,262 Posts
I know you could get a tow hitch from Opel for the GT. I'm not sure why but it was an option!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Does anyone know if they supplied a different alternator on the GT’s with rear window defrost?
I’ve been wondering how many amps the rear window defrost just by itself uses? On a rainy or snowy night it seems that you might tax the battery charge by exceeding the alternator output. Lord knows without those added accessories I’ve seen my amp light start to glow on the gauge, headlights on, wiper motor & blower for the heater going full.
Most of the time, that glow is the result of a poor regulator. The draw on a stock GT battery really is not that high unless there were a bunch of changes make to the output of the headlights and other bulbs. The rear defrost still draws off of the battery, but in order for it to engage the alternator must supply power to the relay. The motor stalls, the relay loses power and shuts off the rear defrost until it is running again. I had a 71 that had that God awful rubber strip down both sides and I had a 73 with the tinted glass all around. It was a green tint and all of the windows were actually tinted. including the tip outs. I have only ran into tinted door glass and tip outs one other time on a 73 that I had parted out. I had a 70 that had tinted glass in my youth, but that was because when the windshield was broken, the insurance co. replaced the clear one with a tinted one. As I recall, it was a pretty dark tint. I always yanked out the stupid am radio, but back then you could get an am/fm cassette that would fit right in the factory hole. Worst you had to do was file out the little knob holes a little bit. An 8 track player would fit nicely behind the parking brake lever.......LOL. God our technology sucked back then.......

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
LOL, Who all remembers those Bias Ply white wall tires going down the road in the winter time. Like driving on SQUARE tires until the damn things warmed up......
Those were nylon ply tires. I liked them because nylon was the strongest cord they used back then. Living in Phoenix then the square tire symptom was rarely an issue.

·
Über Genius
9,887 Posts
I know you could get a tow hitch from Opel for the GT. I'm not sure why but it was an option!
When I had a trailer hitch on my second GT I would frequently tow my Honda ATCs through the coast range mountains in Oregon. They weighed 512, total, pounds dry. I didn't really have a problem with hills either
The record I had was a huge boulder. It had to weigh at least 1000 pounds and I did have to downshift on a 6% uphill grade.

The funnest thing I di with the trailer was when I was passing someone on an uphill. I thought I had more room than I did and had a truck come out of nowhere from the other direction. I dove the car in front of the person I was passing and the trailer wanted to push my poor GT around. Luckily I didn't panic and the trailer settled down pretty quick but it would have been way too easy to overcorrect for the tail whip.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts