Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've started in on paint prep for my '72 GT. Beginning at the front I'm sanding and filling dents in the belly pan. Some rust, pretty beat up. PO must have hit a lot of car stops. Hard work sanding on your back. As I move to the nose (removed bumper) I'm finding a very thin layer of what appears to be corrosion below the original paint and primer. This is in areas that are dent and scratch free. Could the steel have had this thin layer of rust when painted at the factory 30+ years ago? Or is this corrosion migrating under the original primer? At this point I'm not prepared to completely restore this car and I'm wondering if put on a temp coat of paint will it make things worse.:(

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
That problem is most likely confined to the area that you found it in, and there isnt a good chance that it was there from the factory. It is probly just from moisture creaping under the paint, or it might be rust coming from the inside, so check the inside of the pannel to see if that is the case.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed there was some small areas of rust on the underside. Very difficult place to get to though. I've been trying to sand the underside and treat with rust inhibitive primer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts