Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i had a little problem today i was driving and some how my a/c compressor decided to move out of place and was binding with my throttle linkage, so my quick fix since the a/c system neede new hoses any ways was jus remvoe the compressor, which i proceede to do i drive off with my linkage working great and about a mile or two down the road my temp starts going up drasticly so i hope out pop the hood and my fan is missing several fins i believe they broke off some how during that two mile stretch it was dark and with no light i jus assumed since coolant was going all over the ground id jus tow it home and deal with it tommorow, my first qustion is do u think me removing the a/c compressor caused this and my second qustion is do these fans brake very easly because it looked like the blades were cut clean off i mean it didnt look like they got bent then torn off they look like they were cleanly snaped off, any ideas? open for suggestions on what to try and do. ill post more when i get a chance to look at it in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Fan blade-compressor clutch interference . . .

Can you take some pics and post them? GM type compressor (driver side) or vertical twin piston type (ARA, passenger side)? Fan may have been damaged earlier by "loose" compressor (clutch protruding into fan blade arc?). :eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Did you mention coolant leaking? Perhaps the water pump bearing (and seal) failed, allowing the blades rotate off-kilter and hit the shroud. Or the radiator?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Sounds to me like the compressor was on the drivers side to mess with the linkage. I wonder if the compressor moving took out a few blades or weakened them. Since the blades had to go somewhere I'd take a look at the radiator.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
today i pulled the intake and exhaust and as well the radiator, i found that the fan only had about a half of one full blade left the rest of them were bassicly gone, they deffinetly look like they shatterd off and not like they were bent then broken they were cleanly takin off. to comment on the a/c yes it was hte gm comppressor on drivers side the piece of the linkage that was catching was that spring piece that is right at the begining were the pedal is hooked to the firewall, i think im just going to leave the compressor out since i will be moving up to northern cali hopefully within the next 6 to 8 months, up there i wont need the a/c. well i was in luck sort of with my radiator took it to my radiator guy and he told me he could fix it for 35 bucks, and two hours later i had a radiator i orderd a new five blade fan from ogts im not gonna trust anthor old fan , since this is the third time ive made a hole in this new raditor. i am alos installing the zinch exhaust manifold whihc i got from ogts as well, will post pics of that when i finish it.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
why dont you just go electric fan, you can get them from junkyards cheap, and you'd never have to worry about a fan blade in the radiator again, and never have to listen to that howeling whistely thing again. electric fan is much quieter, gives you more room in the front of the engine, and as long as your above 30 MPH or so, you dont even need it, car will stay cool without fan at all so long as you stay moving.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well as of right now i dont have the time to do a full electric fan set-up and i alos have a condensor infront of the radiator so thats already craming the front space i will go electric one of these days, dont no if when i do if i should mount it on the front or the back of the radiator?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
you'll have to go infront of the rad, no room between the engine and rad for a puller fan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts