Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the radiator have to be removed to get the fan shroud off? My car doesn't have the shroud, but the parts car does. After unscrewing from the radiator, it is all one round piece and won't clear the fan...by the looks of it, the radiator must be removed before the fan can. I am missing something easier?

Thanks.

Kevin

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I wouldn't think so Kevin, but the fan and maybe the water pump need to come off. This is based on other cars I've worked on, haven't had an opel with a shroud on it. But just by looking you should be able to see what needs to be removed. If there will be clearance with the fan off, I'd suggest going that way, vice dumping all your coolant to remove the radiator. JMTCW.

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
In most cases the fan is all that needs to be pulled in order to put the shourd on, sometimes its a tight fit between the radiator and the fan to get a wrench in if you have a off set box end wrench it will make it easier. It usr to be referred to a fan wrench in the old days.

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
1/4" ratchet sets its the way of the future

i was told this by a mechanic in the 70's and still have yet to find a strong enough extension set for them

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. When the weather clears, I will go see if I can get a wrench or socket on it. Another idea I was thinking off, while a little more drastic, is to cut it in half. There are two screws in the top, and two in the bottom, so securing it when putting it back together shouldn't be an issue. Alot of the newer cars/trucks I have seen are this way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's not worth cutting it off, I got mine off pretty easily. If you get the fan loose you'll be fine. I put a sheet of cardboard against my radiator so I didn't bugger up any of the fins removing the shroud. You'll get it without cutting it up. Might break a knuckle or two but hey whats that to a nice fan shroud for the opel you love so much.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Pull the radiator - it is only one bolt and two hoses and it slides right out. Put the shroud over the fan- check over the radiator to make sure it is nice and clean and slide it back in. Four bolts fasten the shroud and your ready to go. OH - don't forget to check your thermo and hoses and put in fresh antifreeze and water. Maintenece-maintenence- matinence makes an Opel a happy Opel. JMTCW :cool:

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
to get a shroud on or off, i agree with tom. just pull the two hoses off, unbolt the lower mount and take the 4 screws off the shroud, pull radiator up and out, get the shroud, put back together. or take the 4 screws for the shroud off, slide it as close to the motor as you can get, get a comination of a offset wrench, or socket with ratchet and take the fan off so you can pull the fan off to get the shroud out.

its really easier to pull the radiator, but when your cheap like me, sometimes you dont wanna loose your antifreeze cuz its really hard to catch it all when draining it from a GT, it kinda runs all over the crossmember and such, not a clear train place for it.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
far from the engine one ron, lets just hope keith dont see this or we'll have WWIII for sure!!!

·
Opeler
36 Posts
"to get a shroud on or off, i agree with tom. just pull the two hoses off, unbolt the lower mount"

Ive got a question, can anyone give a picture of how the lower mounting bolt bolts in :confused: , because The radiator I have is just sitting in there, I didn't know there was a lower mounting bolt. Any help is appreciated.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
the bottom mount is probably broken off of yours like alot of them are. its just a rubber mount with a bracket hanging off the bottom of that rubber piece. that bracket bolts to the car.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i'd just be sure the bottom of the radiator wont swing into the fan. the one on my first GT was broke and just used a bungee cord to hold the radiator towards the front of the car.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
GT/Kadett bottom radiator bracket hint

greensmurf20 said:
the bottom mount is probably broken off of yours like alot of them are. its just a rubber mount with a bracket hanging off the bottom of that rubber piece. that bracket bolts to the car.
Leave the bottom radiator bracket attached to the frame and use bottom radiator bolt as guide to locate it. You don't really need to even use the nut that retains it in that bracket, weight of radiator and coolant will do that just fine. One less step in radiator removal and reinstallation. Been doing that way since '76 . . .

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
Bottom mount is very easy to make, it's just a flat strap with a rubber bushing between it and the radiator. The original one is more of an isolater than this setup because the bolts are separated by the rubber, but this would be a little better than a bungee cord :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.