Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the fancy chromed and polished linkage set, plus the even fancier and rare extra long linkage piece that will actuate a single side draft carb set up. Is this the way the linkage goes?:

It doesn't seem right. The balls for the ball and socket pivots are detachable, whereas they are welded in on a stock GT. It looks like I have to discard a few or chop off the existing welded on ones and drill and bolt the new ones on. Do I have that pivot bracket in the right place? It seems to have a wider base and wider spaced mounting holes. I'm going to have difficulty mounting that bracket on the passenger side because my aftermarket heater and it's hoses exiting the firewall had to compromise one of the mounting bolt holes. Do I have the zig zag rod that goes along the fire wall oriented correctly?

Assistance and pics please.

:yup:

· Army Rotorhead
436 Posts
Gordo,
It looks like you have the linkage that crosses behind the engine backwards. The angle should point down, and on the passenger side.

The ball pivot studs look to be in the correct locations. Why do you think you would need to chop anything off?

...we can't accurately advise about getting around your heater mod, just how the linkage was designed to go. You're sort of on your own there without a lot of photos.

17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first pic below shows where the carb linkage bracket used to be. I see now that the bracket I have was indeed intended for this location:

This pic shows how one of the heater hoses comes out where one of the bolt holes used to be. :

I'm okay with the bracket, I'll just chop a bit off and drill a new hole through it and the body and nut and bolt it on.

Thanks for the assist with the firewall rod!

Close up pics of the linkage balls in the next post.

· Registered
1,801 Posts
Gordon, if this link for Splendid does not work for you, just go to the site and get to the midikit linkage. Photos seem to show in good detail how they go, minus the actual fire wall mounting. Link: Opel GT Gasgestänge MidiKit

FWIW, you're showing that cut stainless angle bracket upside down, as compared to what Splendid is showing. It looks like the angle bracket is a simple bolt in replacement for what is in place for the factory set up at the firewall.

Best of luck with the install. That linkage set up looks like the cats meow!

Mike

17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aaarrgghh! What a PIA figuring out how to configure the linkage on this set up is! Two hours I've been at it.

The facts of the matter:
1) This engine will have a 45DCOE on a single side draft manifold.
2) The linkage is the new stainless GT type with the newly designed passenger side pivot bracket that has a swiveling pivot.
3) My heater mod caused me to have to route one of the heater hoses through the fire wall right where one of the bolt holes for the above bracket used to be. No biggee, I cocked it on an angle between the two hoses. The swivel lets you get away with this minor rig job.
4) I also got the special extra long and reconfigured linkage rod on the carb side for hooking up an SSD set up. The rod that sticks out of the linkage and into the carb throttle's slotted L-shaped thingy is in a different place and the spring attachment lever sticking out from the linkage has been welded in a new location.
5) I have no instructions or pics of how it's all supposed to be commonly set up
6) I have no idea what the baseline settings for gas pedal height and other baseline settings are, nor do I even have a picture of how GT linkage is normally configured.

I feel the need to get this all figured out and do any drilling and mods necessary to make it all work BEFORE I put the engine in. The return spring on the passenger side of the linkage gave me the most grief. I got a brand new spring from OGTS, but no matter how I configured the linkage I couldn't get enough spring tension at zero throttle. The darn spring was 1/2"-1" too long and wouldn't return the linkage to zero throttle. Finally I bent the tab on the body that mounts one end of the spring down about an inch. I'm not happy about this. The makers of the linkage purposely repositioned the lever on the linkage rod to make this mod work, so why do I have to anchor the spring at a lower point to get good positive linkage travel?

Anyway, I think I got it working. I have the carb hanging in the air by strings and straps from my hood and I've been working on it from underneath with the hood closed. The carb linkage is running straight in all respects to the carb, so I presume that it is hanging within an inch of it's eventual location. I can get the full 90 degrees of throttle movement and positive return of the linkage to zero throttle. I'm not thrilled about my gas pedal height, which seems too low in relation to my brake pedal. I also notice that there is no provision for over-travel of the gas pedal. I'm afraid that if I jam the gas pedal to the floor I will exceed the travel of the linkage and the carb's throttle and break something.

Guidance?

Does my linkage seem to be configured fairly correctly, considering my mods?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.