Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· 1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everyone using to compress valve springs and remove retainers. I first tried the clamp and screw type and that was a joke. Next I tried the bar type that go onto the rocker stud and push the spring down as you pull the arm towards you and that wasn't much better.

Any other suggestions that might bring better success?

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Madhatter, for years I used a trick taught to me by my uncles, a deep socket that rests on the spring cap and a sharp rap with a ball peen hammer would cause the retainers to pop right out. Although sometimes only one retainer would come out a second attempt would usually free the captive retainer. It helps to be doing this in a relatively clean area as the retainers do jump out and should be retrieved before going after the next set. HTH.

· 1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Namba, thanks for the suggestion, My dad shared that technique with me previously, apparently that is the factory recommended procedure for the early Toyota Celica's. I've considered trying that but the problem with doing that is the springs that are on the head are super stiff, double coil titanium with Ti retainers. I'm not sure how titanium reacts to a whack with forged steel.

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
i like to use the 'C" clamp style type, thats all i can say for lack of better words. sort of works like vice grips. one side rests on the valve in the combustion chamber, clamp it down like vise grips and it holds the valve compressed, so you can grab the retainers with a magnet or needle nose pliers.

· Non Civilian
2,104 Posts
i use a 6 inch "C" clamp with a "U" ground into it to clear the retainers. it works like a charm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.