Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might have an oppurtunity to develop billit trans and torque yokes to use 1310 external clip u joints. I have no idea what prices would be. I know any drive line shop can get the 1310 yokes for 2” tubing, so a new shaft could be made using 1310 joints and be rid of the stock style joints for good.

Could end up being of the biggest stress reding mods to do to the lil cars.

Depending on how long before I swap the trans, I may have a front yoke made to relieve worry, not trusting the epoxied in joints, though I haven’t broken one yet, nor had vibration from them on the stock shaft.

New rear end is in with 3-link, coil overs and Watt’s link, so I don’t need the rear conversion but can still draw and machine them if there is interest in the pair to make new shafts with. Tube yokes would be from the shaft shops in your area. They are easy to find and cheap.

Any interest in the idea?

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,606 Posts
Depending on price, I'd be interested. I'll be doing a Getrag 240 swap, and want a well-built drive shaft anyways. Going to a 1310 u joint would be great. I think I'll only need the torque tube side? I want to say I can find a 1310 slip yoke for the Getrag. Anyone know if that's true???

·
Über Genius
9,456 Posts
I use 1310 in front and an Opel in the rear.

·
Super Moderator
5,967 Posts
Depending on price, I'd be interested. I'll be doing a Getrag 240 swap, and want a well-built drive shaft anyways. Going to a 1310 u joint would be great. I think I'll only need the torque tube side? I want to say I can find a 1310 slip yoke for the Getrag. Anyone know if that's true???
I don't know about the centre joint u-joints, but I do know about the transmission end.

The 1310 U-Joint will work to attach to the stock Opel (or aftermarket) 2" shaft tube for the transmission end, but the Getrag uses a different transmission slip yoke than the 4-speed. It's the same as the Opel automatic slip yoke. My driveshaft shop claimed that the "standard" TH350 transmission slip yoke should work, but when we tested his stock one, even though it was the correct diameter and had the correct spline count, it jammed after being inserted into my Getrag (and another Getrag that we tested). So not true.

I sourced mine from the same shop that Gil uses for his Getrag driveshafts, NW Driveline in Fife WA. Gil has sworn me to secrecy regarding the Spicer part number. If you REALLY need the transmission slip yoke, call Gil and say "pretty please"

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,606 Posts
Keith, maybe I'll ask when placing an order for different stuff. Or, I'll just have to get you drunk enough that you share the secret with me. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts