Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got this car last week direct from new mexico rust free im in jersey so is hard to find a good car without rust i have never own a opel before so the help will be very welcome for now im pretty mutch gonna start to take it apart the interior is shot and all the rubeers by the sun so is going to be a slow process

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,590 Posts
Congratulations on the Manta, and welcome to the community. It looks like you already have a helper to assist you in getting it back on the road.:)
I'm curious about the mud in the engine compartment. Was this a flood car?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,402 Posts
Felopro and I have been talking by message for a while now. I induced him to take his questions public so that he can bugger you guys instead of me. I don't know schitt about Mantas and engine swaps. He started out wanting to put "a friend's" VW, I think, engine in it. I said that's not the way to do it. You gather knowledge and choose the best, easiest one to put in if you're going to do a swap. I told him I don't like non-Opel engine swaps and that most swaps like that never get finished. I said that an old, weird, foreign car is much more than engine, engine, engine, and that the rest of the car is equally, if not, more important. I told him that Opels are really light and don't need mega HP to fly like heck and that he should first get his engine running acceptably and the car working acceptably before he starts taking a sawzall to it. Okay, you guys are now up to date. Carry on.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yees is a lot of sand i just vacum evreything will presuree washed and will upload some new pictures this week

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,712 Posts
Take out the rear seat and the side panels front and rear and door panels and vacuum r blow the dust out of there too. It might have even gotten into the rockers. Dust wil probably be in the subframes that go under the firewall and under the floor pans; there are holes in that front and rear so you might be able to blow dust out with compressed air. Get out as much as you can or it will be come mud and will hold water against the metal and rust things up.

So what do you plan to work on first, Felopro?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the words first im planning to do just that take evreything apart fix whatever is on the body but havent see rust anywhere when i received it was in a one of the 9 car tow truck and i was able to take a good look under the car i didnt see no rust at all so far is great signs do you guys know whats the use of the firewall that take a lot of space from the engine bay

·
Opeler
466 Posts
Welcome and good luck! You should be able to get most of the rubber from Opelgtsource.com in hte U.S., or Splendid parts in Germany. Mantas are nice cars, and very rare. Please restore this one with an Opel engine.

·
Opeler
1,420 Posts
New Mexico, that's the color of the dirt out there. It sticks to everything. It's like fine make-up powder, it infiltrates everything.
Yes, this car has been in many New Mexico "waterless floods", also known as a sand storms. Good for preserving steel car bodies though. When I found my '32 Ford coupe body out there years ago, it was completely buried in a sand dune, with nothing but the top 6-8 inches of the roof line showing. We dug it out and it was in very good condition rust-wise.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,233 Posts
Welcome to Mantaworld! I know I keep saying this every time someone shows up with another Manta, but they are stupidly fun to drive with decent stock suspension.

Given the colors of your car, here is a link to Tom Kings ad for his Manta...same colors/interior but smaller bumpers for the 73 model year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to Mantaworld! I know I keep saying this every time someone shows up with another Manta, but they are stupidly fun to drive with decent stock suspension.

Given the colors of your car, here is a link to Tom Kings ad for his Manta...same colors/interior but smaller bumpers for the 73 model year.

Yeahh same interior but my is shot i probably going red in the interior and dye the carpet black

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What part of NJ? Also, go with a stock Opel engine. You will be very happy.

Karl
Im in garfield you from jersey too i will try to go with the engine but i want to go fuel injected but have to find a manifold if you guys know sombody that is selling one let me know please

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,712 Posts
do you guys know whats the use of the firewall that take a lot of space from the engine bay
Can you ask this question in a different way? It does not make sense. If you mean why does the firewall proturde out into the engine bay, with the flat areas on top by the heater box, that is where your feet and legs go in the inside!

Are you looking to use the early fuel injection (like the 1975 version) or are you going to make a fuel injection system using a programmed controller like a Megasquirt, or buy some sort of complete fuel injection system? Please help us understand better what type of fuel injection system that you want.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you ask this question in a different way? It does not make sense. If you mean why does the firewall proturde out into the engine bay, with the flat areas on top by the heater box, that is where your feet and legs go in the inside!

Are you looking to use the early fuel injection (like the 1975 version) or are you going to make a fuel injection system using a programmed controller like a Megasquirt, or buy some sort of complete fuel injection system? Please help us understand better what type of fuel injection system that you want.
I was thinking about doint a like hybrid with the oem opel manifold and some aftermarket throtle with a custom fuel lines and stuff but lets seat i havent see a manifold available to buy it

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,712 Posts
OK, now I understand. That would be good. I have a '75 system and after working on it and coming to understand it well and adjust what can be adjusted, I am dissapointed in the performance. Put up a 'Parts Wanted' ad for it.

·
Opeler
273 Posts
OK, now I understand. That would be good. I have a '75 system and after working on it and coming to understand it well and adjust what can be adjusted, I am dissapointed in the performance. Put up a 'Parts Wanted' ad for it.
So what did you do to improve the system?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,402 Posts
I can get you an Opel fuel injection system for your car no problem. Maybe $1500 max. You could go aftermarket but you'll have to cobble together parts and school up on a bunch of stuff. First get your engine running with what you got. You may find that it's beat or it's a lame low compression one with 75hp. I don't gather that you're a motorhead or that you're very experienced at car enhancement, engine rebuilding, etc., so work at this patiently and evaluate what you have first, wait at least a year before you consider blowing big dollars on fancy wheels and polished valve covers.

Opelgtboy70 is the fella I mentioned to you. He lives down here near me. He has a complete blue sweet-ass interior that I took out of a '75 Manta last year or so. In fact he has the whole interior, dash included.

But like I said, try to get that engine running. Engine rebuilding for a novice can cost some money. Engine upgrading can cost a whole lotta money.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts