Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the intake I'll be utilizing for my turbo/FI Ascona wagon. I polished the manifold for a friend back in 1985 (I was 19 at the time), and the friend got rid of his Opel soon thereafter. So, I inherited the intake, and it has just sat in a box for the past 17 years. I'm making aluminum injector holders for the larger injectors, insulated with phenolic material, and it's going to get Extrude-honed and then it'll be machined for a 65 mm Ford throttle body. A quick re-buff w/fine-coloring compound and a canton flannel buff and it'll be shiny again!

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
beautiful piece, have any more fi mainifolds laying around, no need to be polished, just looking for a standard one.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, IIRC, I have a bunch of other systems in storage. Don't know why I saved them, I never use stock FI, but I'm a pack-rat.

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Bob,

The straight 6 FI manifolds are supposed to flow quite a bit better than the '75. Did you consider cutting one of these down as opposed to the extrude hone route?

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The early 6-cyl intakes are the same...just two more cylinders added. The later ones flow better but match the raised port design of the 2.2/2.4 heads, so it would require more work to adapt. Add onto that the cost of obtaining the intake first, cutting/welding, and then polishing another intake (took me 20 hours way back when), and I'd go with the extrude-honing!

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
If you're not using a 2.2 or 2.4 head then I guess extrude honing is the way to go. I'd pass on the 20 hours of polishing however, double chrome plate(triple isn't needed on aluminum) would be well worth the $

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure, but you still have to polish the base metal before plating to make it smooth. I ground off all the 'nibs' and casting flash, and smoothed all the rough cast aluminum first. I could do it again in about 8-10 hours I'm sure, my tool collection was not quite as extensive when I was in my teen years! I *could* get it plated for free as well, my friend has a chrome shop here in CT.

Bob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey would one of these intake manifolds fit under a stock GT hood? If so it would be a lot nicer than having to make my own... was planning on making a nice stainless tube one, but having something to get things going would help some.

Also got another question for you Bob... Was checking out some of the rust repair you did on your ITB Manta, and was wondering if it would be possible to just flush weld metal in on the the unibody frame on the door sills and still have good structual rigidity? If so I think I'll pick up some metal and work on it when I got some time... since I'm having a hard time comming up with the cash to rebuild the engine, and I'd like to do something with it instead of it just sitting in the driveway.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maddyn said:
Hey would one of these intake manifolds fit under a stock GT hood? If so it would be a lot nicer than having to make my own... was planning on making a nice stainless tube one, but having something to get things going would help some.
Yes, it fits. The only interference area on a 1975 Opel FI intake with a GT is the cold start injector against the firewall. Not an issue if you go with a programmable ECU like I'm doing, the cold start injector isn't used.

Also got another question for you Bob... Was checking out some of the rust repair you did on your ITB Manta, and was wondering if it would be possible to just flush weld metal in on the the unibody frame on the door sills and still have good structual rigidity? If so I think I'll pick up some metal and work on it when I got some time... since I'm having a hard time comming up with the cash to rebuild the engine, and I'd like to do something with it instead of it just sitting in the driveway.
Ascona! It's an Ascona!!! Sorry..... didn't mean to take it personally.:D
If you have good weld penetration, then the repaired metal should be as structurally sound as the base metal. Regardless, anything is better than rusted metal, right?

Bob

·
Certified Opelholic
1,466 Posts
Hey would one of these intake manifolds fit under a stock GT hood?

also the right side (passenger) hood latch hits the Manifold

the Germans move it to the left side

I just drilled out the spot welds and removed the latch.

that gave me only one latch but it seemed to work OK

one other tidbit

the 1.9 FI TB has an EGR port and with a little bit of work an extra
injector (cold start) can be added there

if you look at bob "s PIC you see a flat spot at the rear of the manifold

that's where the Cold start injector gets moved to

the hole at the rear gets plugged up

funny thing i could never get my cold start injectors to work
must have bought 5 of them at different junk yards

I was to cheap to buy a new one

Have Fun

Davegt74

·
Opeler
15 Posts
Dave, Not clear on what you mean by "flat spot" for relocation of cold start injector. Could you please eloborate as I need to preform this mod next week?
Also, any tips for throttle cable setup with this combo (FI on a GT)?
Thanks,
Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts