Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have or know where I can get my hands on a GT fiberglass body to make a drag car out of? My brother-in-law builds race cars and has always had a regular GT and has always wanted to build a drag GT. He recently crashed his Firebird, so now is the time to do the GT.

Thanks

·
boomerang opeler
5,638 Posts
theres that place that we were talking about last week that does them but we hear bad things about them ,as always try a search for fiberglass body or hood it will be there with links to the companys web site

·
Super Moderator
13,945 Posts
There's another shop (reputable!) in the DC/Maryland area, but I can't recall the name of it. They've been making GT drag-race bodies since the '70's. Tom Drake's Opel GT racecar uses one of their lift-off front end clips on his road-racing GT. Photo of his car is here. You'll note there are no headlight cutouts or corner light cutouts. All in all, the quality is pretty decent, and you can order it in race weight or street weight thickness' depending on your needs. The front clip can be ordered with the hood non-removeable as well.

Bob

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome!! How can I get ahold of Tom so I can find out where he got it?

·
Super Moderator
13,945 Posts
Next time I talk to him, I'll ask. I won't give out his number without his permission however.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,945 Posts

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
Opel Fiberglass body

Brings back old memorys, Heffran & Kaiser C/A Opel GT in the 1970's ran 1/4 mile at Suffolk Raceway (Va.) Little Guy Nationals every November for about 5 years. Car ran 9:40's at about 160mph with 277 Cubic Inches. Very Impressive and nationally competitive drag car. I think It was was sold to someone in Maryland or Delaware and ran as a 9:90 bracket racer it was named "Pocket Rocket" and ran in Division 1 & 2 in NHRA for about 10 years. Straight Axle strut front end car with struts (Wilwood). When it was ran by Hefferan & Kaiser it left at about 8500RPM and he shifted it at about 9000, put on quite a show.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bob

·
Opeler
7 Posts
re Fiberglass opel

Hey Thom71GT Would you be interrested in a 71 GT that has a fiber glass front end? I've had this project in storage for over 16 yrs. The glass front end is a one piece front end. I was going to mount it so it would flip forward,ala Triumph/Jaguar fashion.The car has been gutted. as in NO motor trans interior dash ect. I was going to make a super gas car with it for NHRA. But I dont think with all the other projects I have on the go that I will ever get to this one. If your interrested in more info e me at [email protected].
MountinAsh (Craig)

·
Super Moderator
5,973 Posts
Don't know if you are still looking Thom, but this place is pretty reasonably price, and has complete bodies.
OPEL Catalogue-
Phil
By all accounts, avoid this outfit like the PLAGUE! Although it pains me to diss a Canadian company, even the experience of nearby Ontario Opel'ers (Rob Cassidy aka Rionart IIRC) has been abysmal. Poor parts, worse service, bordering on fraud for long distance buyers.

JM2CW

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Yup...4 words.....DO NOT GO THERE!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
I just had a look on showcars website.....now I know exactly how Rodney feels....they are using some very familiar pics without any permission....Grrr
Their problem is I know where they live...

·
Super Moderator
5,973 Posts
I just had a look on showcars website.....now I know exactly how Rodney feels....they are using some very familiar pics without any permission....Grrr
Their problem is I know where they live...
Those Fiberglas flares didn't even COME from Showcars, did they? I though they were from OGTS. But perhaps "good" can come from "bad". If you could visit them, Rob, and "suggest" that in exchange for continuing to use photos of your (formerly ConreroGT's) GT, they should supply a set of discount flares for an Ascona. Or maybe two, and a set for a GT, as I would LOVE to have a set for the SportWagon and my GT. Or are they simply too crappy a company to even deal with?

Hmm, they list the Ascona flares, but no GT flares. Why are they even showing your car?

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Those Fiberglas flares didn't even COME from Shows, did they? I though they were from OGTS. But perhaps "good" can come from "bad". If you could visit them, Rob, and "suggest" that in exchange for continuing to use photos of your (formerly ConreroGT's) GT, they should supply a set of discount flares for an Ascona. Or maybe two, and a set for a GT, as I would LOVE to have a set for the SportWagon and my GT. Or are they simply too crappy a company to even deal with?
Sorry Keith,
I just roasted "Rob" on the 'phone. As I've stated before, these guys do not have any opel parts, bar an old GT racecar body, and what is (I think) a Kadett fender.
His idea is, "If I don't have it, I'll just make up something similar"....how you do that with no car to use as a template I don't know.
As part of my roasting I reminded him of ripping one of our guys off a couple of years back....he assured me if the said gent would get in touch with him and provide details of the transaction, he would make things right. I can't remember who it was...hopefully he will read this and act.
If I was going to get someone to manufacture fiberglass parts (and I'm not), I would use a more reputable/reliable outfit than this bunch of jokers.
Anyway, he has promised to remove the picture of the Conrero, so we will see if his word is worth anything....I won't hold my breath....:banghead:

·
Registered
7 Posts
great information guys thanks but i do have a question who carries the front spoiler and ground effect kits that i have seen on some of these cars? what i want to look at is the front chin spoiler and the side skirts to give the car more ground effect.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
great information guys thanks but i do have a question who carries the front spoiler and ground effect kits that i have seen on some of these cars? what i want to look at is the front chin spoiler and the side skirts to give the car more ground effect.
Opel GT Source
Opel GT Source --- Online Store
Lenk Tuning
Lenk-Opel-Tuning

among others......
I've got the Steinmetz kit on mine, in my Member Gallery

1 - 20 of 25 Posts