Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Opeler
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this ad today while poking around on craigslist. Anyone looking for a GT Drag Car body? Anyone have pictures of this car when it was complete and running? Could be a great project for someone!!

1970 OPEL FIBERGLASS BODY

·
Certified Opelholic
1,466 Posts
maybe we can talk rallyBob into getting it since its in his neck of the woods

Tube Chassie GT Bob :yup:

Davegt27

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
maybe we can talk rallyBob into getting it since its in his neck of the woods

Tube Chassie GT Bob :yup:

Davegt27
Drag-race only GT? I think not! :lmao:

I know Waterford pretty well however, we used to race a Manta at the 1/3rd mile oval track there. Gary is a bit closer than I am, since it's southeastern CT, basically on the shoreline. Only about 15 minutes from Callaway Cars...maybe an LS7 install is in order?

·
Opeler
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Add some head lights, brake lights, turn signals, the LS7 motor, the Ebay doors - Reg with DMV as home built car and make it streetable. Quickest grocery getter in town - plus, no more body rust or parking lot door dings to worry about. Come on RallyBob...think about it...

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Add some head lights, brake lights, turn signals, the LS7 motor, the Ebay doors - Reg with DMV as home built car and make it streetable. Quickest grocery getter in town - plus, no more body rust or parking lot door dings to worry about. Come on RallyBob...think about it...
Therein lies the rub. CT is one of the worst states out there to get a 'homebuilt' registered in. There is one office in the state that can certify a homebuilt, and you literally have to make an appointment months in advance to get it inspected. If it's built new, with a new model engine VIN...it has to pass ALL new car certifications. Emissions, safety, etc. No thanks!:no:

·
Opeler
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Come see my...I mean, RallyBobs new car.

Therein lies the rub. CT is one of the worst states out there to get a 'homebuilt' registered in. There is one office in the state that can certify a homebuilt, and you literally have to make an appointment months in advance to get it inspected. If it's built new, with a new model engine VIN...it has to pass ALL new car certifications. Emissions, safety, etc. No thanks!:no:
Ok Ok...I'm not one to let people take advantage of my generosity, but I can see that you are in a terrible bind with this new build you are working on. I am willing, once you finish building your new project Drag/Street Opel, to let you register and store the car at my house in California. Now I know I may be required to start and drive your car weekly so it is in good working order for when you need it. This does put an extreme burden on my shoulders, but our community members need to be able to put aside our own needs and wants and try to foster the bonds needed to make us feel more like a family. So, this is what I am willing to do to help you out. When can I expect delivery of this amazing new project...late summer maybe? I'll be clearing a space for it...

·
187 Posts
I think some of that may have changed. I've got a friend with a Beck 550 (Porsche replica), just registered it. Brand new motor and all and it would not pass modern safty or emissions standards...think it is registered as a 56 Porsche. Passed CT inspection at Wethersfield without issue. I think something changed recently that basically says if the car is replicating a classic car it can be registered as such. I hope to put together a Lotus 7 replica some day. Hope it isnt too much of a pain to get it registered.

Iggy, How do you run across a car on Craigs List that is on the opposite coast? I browse Craigs List all the time in the CT, MA, and RI area...it would take me all day to make it all the way through to California....:yup:

·
187 Posts
I do also love the fact that once you've got a car thats 25+ years old registered in CT then it will never see any kind of inspection ever again....and if you had a CT bill of sale then they probably didn't look at it to begin with. There are some real scary looking cars on CT roads since they have no annual inspections.

·
Opeler
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
matl59 - Good catch, I am trying to get all the GT's I can to California so they are further away from the Europeans shores - or - I was just poking around at random on craigslist. Too much time on my hands I guess. I should be spending more time getting my GT back on the road (no extra comments Neil!!). I got the registration taken care of yesterday - $282 later.

I was thinking about the reg problem too. I think a car like that could be reg as a 68-73 opel. Take a wrecked car and move all of the important items so you can continue reg as the wrecked car. That should work. Then you can do anything to it in the engine department.

What kind of inspection is required in CT???

CA has smog every two years, at smog they do a visual to check that all smog item are there and check the gas cap for proper seal. That's it. A rolling 30 years old is exempt from smog and any inspection. A lot of crap on the road here too.

Did you notice that RallyBob hasn't said NO yet - so I guess my offer has be accepted?!?! I cannot wait to see it in my driveway at the end of summer!!!! Everyone is invited over for rides.

·
648 Posts
Several years back, just prior to getting the GT, I had a Healey kit car (Sebring MX, 2200 lbs, 'Vette engine, Suicidal POS). I had it retitled through an Alabama company as a 1964 Healey. If I remember right, it cost me about $200. Made insurance easy and protected me from any future smog worries.
Jc

·
187 Posts
What kind of inspection is required in CT???
For new cars greater then 5? and less then 25 there is smog here as well. Cars older then 25 years do not require any smog. If you are registering a vehicle from out of state it will need to be taken in for saftey inspection and vin verification. Show up with a CT title and or bill of sale and depending on its age they may just give you plates for the vehicle. There is no annual or bi-annual saftey inspection here as there is in some states. Once you've made it through the DMV thats it.

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
I think some of that may have changed. I've got a friend with a Beck 550 (Porsche replica), just registered it. Brand new motor and all and it would not pass modern safty or emissions standards...think it is registered as a 56 Porsche. Passed CT inspection at Wethersfield without issue. I think something changed recently that basically says if the car is replicating a classic car it can be registered as such. I hope to put together a Lotus 7 replica some day. Hope it isnt too much of a pain to get it registered.

Iggy, How do you run across a car on Craigs List that is on the opposite coast? I browse Craigs List all the time in the CT, MA, and RI area...it would take me all day to make it all the way through to California....:yup:
My father was trying to get me to build him a Cobra replica, but we went through so much BS with the registration issues he gave up on. We spoke at length with ERA replicas in CT and with Factory 5 Racing in MA and they both concurred that CT was a PITA for registration on a home-built. Yes, you can register a '66 Cobra replica as a '66 Cobra. BUT, since 2008 if you install a modern driveline in CT, the driveline must be in full compliance with the year of manufacture. We would just have had to install an older driveline (with receipt and showing block VIN #) to avoid all emissions, but my father wanted modern EFI reliability.

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Did you notice that RallyBob hasn't said NO yet - so I guess my offer has be accepted?!?!
Because I'm still laughing, and couldn't catch my breath....:lmao:

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Admittedly CT has some weird inspection rules. We have no annual inspections. If I buy a used car such as an Opel, I get one safety inspection and that's it...forever. And even if I cancel the registration, years later I can re-register the car with zero inspection. Which means that the 1974 Manta in my barn that was last registered in 1986 (in my name) can be re-registered with zero inspection. In that timeframe I could have installed a big block Chevy, chopped the top, etc....with no problems.

BUT, with a new inspection on an older car I've just bought, I have been failed for things such as having racing seatbelts (not DOT approved), for having stainless brakes hoses, for having a decal on the top of my winshield, for not having a sun visor, and for having no door panels! They really can get picky over some BS, but ironically once the car is through inspection you can change whatever you want on the car, as long as it doesn't attract the attention of the gendarmes....

·
Opeler
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Because I'm still laughing, and couldn't catch my breath....:lmao:
You can not blame a guy for trying. :veryhappy Sorry everyone in Nor-California, all rides have been canceled!!!

It seems that building a car with an old engine - do the inspection - then change it to whatever you want is the answer for the replicas. But, that is a lot of extra work and money. That is sad that you have so many problems with a new to you car. A sun visor...REALLY??? And I thought CA was bad!!!!

·
Opeler
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RallyBob - By the way, great looking wagon - really love the rims...what brand are they? Mine have been on for so long...I think they are 15" Enkei's - from the late 80's early 90's.

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
RallyBob - By the way, great looking wagon - really love the rims...what brand are they? Mine have been on for so long...I think they are 15" Enkei's - from the late 80's early 90's.
The black mesh center wheels? They're MSW's, 13" x 6". Got them from the Tire Rack back in 1990-1991 during a close-out for $62 each. BMW 320i fitment as I recall.

I also have a set of gold-center mesh Shelby CSS wheels (also 13 x 6), and BMW 320i factory BBS/Mahle gold-center mesh wheels, 13 x 6. Originally I was going to use these three sets of mesh-center wheels for my ITB racing car, but when I sold that car the wheels lost a home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts