Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a few areas, if you want to see check out my pics on my profile, that i need to fill in. but i dont know what the idea metal is and size. cut and weld i can do, but is there anything special i need to know for the metal, or just regular sheet metal?
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Car is pretty rough dude!

I would strip the car and then blast using medium blast media. Once done, I will be able to see how much of the car is left and solid. Attack an area at a time, don't try to do it all at once otherwise you will lose interest on the project.

But to give you an idea, the cheapest sheetmetal I have found is by buying a Ford truck hood. You can get them mostly for about $30 and you can make many, many patch panels with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that bad huh...i dont have a place around here to be able to get it blasted... in over my head on this project...sumtin else for ebay i guess. thanks guys.

·
gone Opel GT crazy!
640 Posts
you can always sand the crap out of it and get it down to bare metal
my 69 gt looked just like that and worse but somehow i got everything pretty solid now. so don't give up! :yup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and thats more of what i was thinking of doing, but i really dont have a place to start ripping it apart. i can prolly score a bay at a buddys garage for weekend little projects and he'll let me use his air tools, but got to be out by monday. What size of "shed" could i get away with enought room to move around in to house the gt in?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok i located a sandblaster that my buddy has, im gonna barrow this weekend, and blast all the spots thatr looks like needs to be blasted. then ill get more pictures. im really hoping this will become DO'able for me cause i hate to get rid of it. ill post up with some more pictures on monday, thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Car is pretty rough dude!

But to give you an idea, the cheapest sheetmetal I have found is by buying a Ford truck hood. You can get them mostly for about $30 and you can make many, many patch panels with it.
Any certain years? or any other hoods will work to, cause i got a buds body shop with lots of hoods but im not sure if he has ford truck hoods, but i can prolly get all i want for free.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Any certain years? or any other hoods will work to, cause i got a buds body shop with lots of hoods but im not sure if he has ford truck hoods, but i can prolly get all i want for free.
Try to find a hood which is as flat as possible. Also most truck hoods are very large, you will see what I mean when you go through them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok cool, but pretty much and hood will do, like i know he has hood to some astro vans, jeeps, neons, and prolly some chevy trucks...those would work to right?

·
gone Opel GT crazy!
640 Posts
ok cool, but pretty much and hood will do, like i know he has hood to some astro vans, jeeps, neons, and prolly some chevy trucks...those would work to right?
the little opel hood is very tricky the curves and the way it's designed for the car . so you would be better off just asking around on opelgt.com and see if someone has a hood they will sell you for cheap. there's tons of people on here with parts cars :yup:

·
Opeler
41 Posts
the little opel hood is very tricky the curves and the way it's designed for the car . so you would be better off just asking around on opelgt.com and see if someone has a hood they will sell you for cheap. there's tons of people on here with parts cars :yup:
He's looking for one to cut up and make patch panels out of.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He's looking for one to cut up and make patch panels out of.
Yea im not looking to make a hood, not that good,:lmao: but other hoods that would be good to make a few patches in the fenders, thats all. thanks.

·
gone Opel GT crazy!
640 Posts
Yea im not looking to make a hood, not that good,:lmao: but other hoods that would be good to make a few patches in the fenders, thats all. thanks.
ahh ok sorry i was reading too fast :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts