Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Opeler
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after 5 months of looking I finally found my 1st GT. It will probably be a while before it hits the road but it's mine. It's not easy to find GTs in Connecticut. EB Mark :D

Reactions: ggl

·
415 Posts
Welcome to the adiction! :D

·
239 Posts
Opelitas strikes again!!! :cool: Hope you don't have too much body cancer being from that part of the US! Spent some time there in Groton CT. Lots of snow, and more snow, did I mention snow... :eek: Welcome to the pack and get your cooling system up to snuff, winters coming!!!

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Mark, would it be the 610 dollar GT that sold on ebay friday? if so thats my VERY FIRST GT!!!! sold it last winter, had it for nearly a year.

·
Opeler
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The GT I bought had been in a state of restoration for 17 years according to the owner. It's a 73 with an automatic trans and the original solex. Body is pretty good except for the underside of the nose, battery rot I guess. Ton's of extra parts 2 motors, a spare auto tranny and a parts car, for $300. Timing is everything in life. EB Mark

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
That sounds like the perfect deal to start a new addiction :)D) with. Almost like a mid-west kinda deal. Oh, by the way. Welcome to the Opel world.

·
239 Posts
Just thought to say mine is a 72 Auto and if your kickdown detent cable isn't adjusted right she will be gutless as all get out!!! I just put a Weber and 4 into one header and even though there was a noticeable improvement, it wasn't what I expected until I got the detent cable and all carb linkage tight and second gear now comes in under dropping the pedal!!! I found a 5/8 crows foot wrench works well in breaking the jam nuts to the cable (2 ea. top and bottom of the tang mount. The transmission is a good GM product that is used in the Isuzu and chevette, the filter and pan gasket kit sells for about $10.00. I belive it's a GM TH180 automatic.

·
1,219 Posts
I'm convinced that most of the people who complain about the poor performance of the Opel auto transmission, have the detent cable adjusted wrong. The shifting is so quick on the automatic that the manual transmission Opels have to work hard to keep up.

·
Opeler
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to admit I wasn't looking for an auto but the former owner had nothing but great things to say about it. I guess I'll find out. Thanks for the info. EB Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts