Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to tell someone. After 3 months of filling and sanding, I finally got it painted.
I have owned my 70 GT since April 1st. It was originally a Arizona vehicle that had been shipped to and fro across the country each time the previous owner moved jobs. It sutained more dings and scrapes in those 14 years of storage and transport than most cars that have been driven the same amount of time. Paint was also very fried (oxydized) from sun exposure. No rust though, just a little surface rust on the bottom at the jack points where the desert sand had blasted it, other than that the paint was still solid on the bottom of the car.
Finished the body work Tuesday,primed it Wednesday with catalized urathane primer and wet sanded all day Thursday.
Took it to the paint booth today (Son works for a Paint Mfg., Matrix Systems and they needed a spray ability test car). As a "Test Vehicle" all paint and labor was free. Six coats of catalized urathane "Millenium Yellow", 2005 Corvette & Chevy SSR color, and 3 coats of catalized urathane clear coat later I have a GT thats glossier than original. and alot better than the original Greenish/Yellow color (no offense intended to those of you who like that color). Pictures to follow.
I have to take a break from the car project now so I can finish an addition to my house that I started last summer. Wife insists, besides I can reassemble the opel during the winter after I pour the concrete floor in the addition basement and get the heating runs in.
I try to convince Her that all my Honey-Do's are 3 year projects and I'm way ahead of schedule on all of them. She's not buying it.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Congrats, pavogg! A free "Hi-Test" paint job sounds great. I think when your wife gets her first ride in the GT (after a good jog of honey-do's), she will admit to liking the stares on the street. It's her AND the GT, right!? ;)

·
tomking
2,484 Posts
I am getting my 70 GT completely repainted now and also going with corvette yellow. Looking forward to reassembling the GT this Winter. Probably will chip it somewhere and have to go back for touchup.

·
415 Posts
Peek-sures please! My first GT (back in '79) was green. I painted it corvett yellow and loved it. I would have done it to my new one but it came with a custom job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts