Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...to the Opel GT just last week.

I don't know how I've never seen this car before.

I've got an engine ready to go into a car, and putting it in to one of these would be a dream.

However, I'm not sure it will work.

Even though my engine is only a Six, it's a big one.

See link for the engine, and attached image for an idea.

Barra Block

As I've never seen one of these cars in person, hopefully someone without more experience can tell me if this would be at all possible.

I found LS swaps etc, but I think this may be a bit more awkward (height wise?).
Font Number Screenshot

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,241 Posts
So, you only just realized that GT's exist, you don't have one yet, and right out of the gate you want to do a radical engine swap. You are clearly only thinking about an imagined end result of a cool looking little car with a go fast engine and you're not considering the 1000 additional steps to make it a decent looking and functioning car.

This doesn't sound like it will end well.

Have you ever done an engine swap between 2 totally different makes of car, one antique and the other modern?

You're going to gave to replace the entire drivetrain and electrical system, including gauges, just for starters.

I'll leave it to others to talk you out of it.........

·
Registered
262 Posts
...to the Opel GT just last week.

Barra Block

As I've never seen one of these cars in person, hopefully someone without more experience can tell me if this would be at all possible.
Hi, I'm all for modified cars but to answer your question "No".. They only just fit in a Falcon. The front of the engine would stick out 12" through the bonnet and weight is crazy heavy these cars are very small think MGB

·
Can Opeler
3,937 Posts
Not going to happen with those dimensions. The gt CIH is closer to 450mm wide in the bottom, 200mm too width. 550mm height. 750mm length. (These are rough numbers.)

The GT has one of the tightest engine bays of any sports car. Also the drivetrain can only handle around 150HP without exploding the rear end regularly. The body can only handle a bit over 250HP.

Also consider weight distribution. The GT engine is compact and placed behind the front wheels for lower CG and better weight distribution.

Drive it with the stock engine before you decide to swap.

Reactions: soybean

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,666 Posts
Reading the OP's post, he is not looking to have a GT at all, he is looking for a receiving vehicle for his Ford engine.

Dieter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not going to happen with those dimensions. The gt CIH is closer to 450mm wide in the bottom, 200mm too width. 550mm height. 750mm length. (These are rough numbers.)

The GT has one of the tightest engine bays of any sports car. Also the drivetrain can only handle around 150HP without exploding the rear end regularly. The body can only handle a bit over 250HP.

Also consider weight distribution. The GT engine is compact and placed behind the front wheels for lower CG and better weight distribution.

I'd found a crashed Typhoon (F6 Falcon), so I have a lot of components to replace the weak links in the existing rear end, brake and hubs etc.

What you say about the weight and CoG was a big concern. This F6 engine weighs more than the last 302 Windsor that I had on the engine stand.

I was thinking a dry sump set up would help with distribution (and CoG/height), also getting rid of unecessary auxiliaries like A/C etc.

This is probably the best advice:

I'm notoriously greedy for torque, then again I've never had a car this light, so that should help a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, I'm all for modified cars but to answer your question "No".. They only just fit in a Falcon. The front of the engine would stick out 12" through the bonnet and weight is crazy heavy these cars are very small think MGB
Yeah, I knew from the start that I was being very hopeful, but I've done some transplants before...despite that, I was anticipating that this would definitely be to the extreme.

Having seen an F6 engine in an MX5 (Miata) gave me a bit of hope. Not to mention the LS transplants into these little GT's.

It wasn't too hard finding external dimensions (of the GT), but the engine bay, and other useable space was a bit harder to accurately research.

I'm able to replace/modify plenum etc, to reduce width, but there's not much I can do about the length of the engine, unfortunately.

I've had an injected 8 in a '71 Ford Zodiac before, but again, I acknowledge that this is a bit more involved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts