Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just read Flippers report on the Sway Bar and I too have taken my first step in better handling for my '72 GT.

I started with a wheel and tire upgrade. I shopped around trying to find a good deal on tires and wheels and finally decided to get mine at www.ronalusa.com

They offer both 15" and 17" wheels with a 4x100mm pattern. I chose the 15" because I wanted the car to retain a least a little of the old tire style instead of a more extreme low profile look. Here is what I decide on:

Ronal LS 15" 4x100mm 12mm offset
Kumho 712 205/50ZR15

Compared to the stock wheels and tires the new ones are unbelievable. Finally I have lots of grip cornering and stopping, way less roll, and I can keep my tires from spinning out. This first upgrade was well worth it.

Here is a picture (yes, I can't wait to lower it, put on sway bars, and better shocks too)

I'm still trying to figure out how to put a picture in the message...

·
352 Posts
Hi Dave-
I was browsing Tacoma '04 pics today (thanks Keith), saw your car, and remembered I wanted to ask you how the fitment of the LS Ronals was treating you ... I think they look GREAT! Any steering clearance or lug-centric vibration issues?... Any foreseen clearance change there with a 2" lowering?

I'd searched out that wheel as a candidate for my GT back in January and was crunching offset numbers... then found (here) you'd already selected offset and bought some!

There's a A LOT of posts on wheel selection/considerations! If you don't mind being the guinea pig on this ;) ... I think it'd be great public knowledge (well, at least for me) to see some true-life-GT-mounted feedback on the Ronal LS and the 12mm offset choice.

I gotta say it again... they look GREAT! :)

Advance thanks!
-Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ronal Wheels Long Term Report

Dan,

Thanks for the complements... I am pretty much done with my performance modifications, so here is my report on usability.

The steering is more difficult with much more grip on the front. I have a stock steering wheel and it can require some muscle to manage. I really don't mind; it feels more like a sports car. I normally don't drive long distances, but for the Tacoma show I drove about 100 miles round trip and noticed it in my wrists. Most people might not, but I suffer from ocassional carpel tunnel syndrome.

Wheel overall hight is unchanged so I that should help. I put the intermediate front leaf spring from OGTS and found no real change in ride height. Obviously it was no problem, so I don't know if you did more what might happen.

Big brake did not fit so I had to add a small spacer and longer lug nuts to get it to clear comfortably. The spacer was about a 1/4" thick, I need to find the details. That could affect what offset you choose if you plan to go that route.

I have not noticed any strange vibrations from the wheels. I will be getting the car aligned in the next week or so, now that all of the suspension has had a change to settle in. However, I can't tell that it needs it.

No problem in turning clearance.

I have been very pleased with the wheels except for the big brake clearance problem.

·
352 Posts
15x7.5 w/12mm offset Ronal LS wheel fits GT

Thanks for feedback Dave... exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for!
-Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts