Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently doing weld repairs to the edge of the one fender and the hood is not attached to the hinges. I laid the hood on the car to check the gaps, and they are ok. But I noticed the vertical alignment with the edge of the fenders is not good some places. I put shims under the front edge of the hood to bring it up to the level of the fender between the headlights. With the front edges flush and the rear corners flush, the hood is >.125", (1/8") lower than the fenders along the sides in the area of the vents and rearward. Is this a normal/acceptable amount? I normally try for much better alignment. I do not see an easy way to improve this. Choices seem to be bending the hood or cutting the vertical lip of the fender and rewelding. Thanks.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
706 Posts
First I have to ask if you have the 4 rubber hood bumpers in place. Second not sure you are going to know just how well the hood aligns until you have it installed and locked into place with the hood latch. I have only removed and replaced the hood once, 21 years ago and that was with the engine bay empty and I could adjust it and crawl under the car and tighten the bolts and check it for fitment and readjust and readjust until I got it right. I only did it once so I may be off base, just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about any rubber bumpers. Then only ones I see are the wedges on the sides. I know things will be different once I reassemble everything, but I don't want to find out then that I should have done some body adjustments now. So how close to flush is your hood now? Thanks.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,349 Posts
Some GT's have really good hood alignment and some don't. All sorts of bendages could have happened to your hood over 50 years. The underneath support framework of GT's was held in place against the hood skin by with glue, which after all these years has likely separated. Possibly that could contribute to misalignment. And, of course, any replacement of fenders would affect alignment. I use the aftermarket fiberglass hoods and their alignment is WAY off. 1/2" or more in some places. I just live with it, at a car show your hood is up all the time, so no one knows or cares how perfect your hood fits.

Door fitment on GT's, however, is VERY precise and can be adjusted infinitely. The adjustment of GT hoods is maddeningly imprecise and difficult.

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First I have to ask if you have the 4 rubber hood bumpers in place. Second not sure you are going to know just how well the hood aligns until you have it installed and locked into place with the hood latch. I have only removed and replaced the hood once, 21 years ago and that was with the engine bay empty and I could adjust it and crawl under the car and tighten the bolts and check it for fitment and readjust and readjust until I got it right. I only did it once so I may be off base, just my two cents worth.
OK, I did find 2 of the 4 petrified rubber bumpers. I see that they set the gap and also set the height of the hood. I put these 2 on the passenger side and the height there is good. I then put them on the driver side, where the previous repairs were made. The side is good, but above the headlight cutout the hood is higher than the fender. Most of this is in the area where the replacement fender was installed years ago. It is possible that the sheet metal is no correct there. In any case, I think I will continue with my present repair and after priming, install the hood properly and see how it looks. It is possible the stress from the hinges will affect this area. The contours in this area are complex. I have made numerous templates to check against the unmolested side. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
706 Posts
Not sure about any rubber bumpers. Then only ones I see are the wedges on the sides. I know things will be different once I reassemble everything, but I don't want to find out then that I should have done some body adjustments now. So how close to flush is your hood now? Thanks.
See rubber bumpers - pretty sure we are talking about the same thing but you just never know: Also alignment pictures: Without seeing exactly what the issue is or issues are it is hard to advise but, Gordon is correct, they are hard to align especially if there has been body work. After the hood is reinstalled to its best alignment bondo many be part of or your only answer, but you can't do that until the hood is on, so that it can be fully latched, allowing for opening and closing to check your work. I think my hood fits pretty good but it is far from perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts