Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way off topic but a valuable resource -- :D
Wife, boy child and I will be vacationing at the Grand Canyon and the Petrified Forest the end of June. Was wondering if anyone in the area could give us some "Have to see" spots. Please PM me as I don't want any moderator on my you know what. Thanks :cool:

·
792 Posts
must see

The Sedona Az(very close to Flagstaff) is a must see

·
Registered
457 Posts
South from Flagstaff drive thru Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona (just west of I-17) then west to Jerome (a big old, almost ghost, mining town built on a hillside) then you can retrace your tracks back to Flagstaff or get there via Granite Dells near Prescott .......then north on 89 back to I-40 (you'll be about 50 miles east of Flagstaff). Depends how long you have.

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
baronbors said:
Way off topic but a valuable resource --
Wife, boy child and I will be vacationing at the Grand Canyon and the Petrified Forest the end of June. Was wondering if anyone in the area could give us some "Have to see" spots. Please PM me as I don't want any moderator on my you know what. Thanks :cool:
its ok its what open discussion is for :D + i might want some info myself :D

·
392 Posts
North rim of Grand Canyon has always been our favorite angle. Less tourists and a milder climate. I also agree with Sedona. All the harmonic convergences for the women in the group. Read up on that before you go. Interesting theory.

Have fun as there is so much to see in Northern Arizona with the Anastassi indians and Bryce/Zion National Parks. Arizona is more then flat desert and 100+ temps. More to see then can be seen in one trip.

I am starting to sound like a tour guide. Have fun.

Mike A transplanted Zonie

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Mesa Verde or the Dinasour park are cool too. If your in the 4 corners area kids of all ages enjoy the trains. Durango and Silverton or Cumbres and Toltec are fun.

Totally unrelated but my 7 year old was impressed with Moab. Have fun

·
197 Posts
If you rin the area of the Grand Canyon definitely go by and see the meteor crator in Windslow AZ. If you ever saw the movie star man you have seen the crator on tv but tv doesn't give it any justice of just how big this hole really is.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Winslow, AZ

lewdawg said:
If you rin the area of the Grand Canyon definitely go by and see the meteor crator in Winslow AZ. If you ever saw the movie star man you have seen the crator on tv but tv doesn't give it any justice of just how big this hole really is.
. . . and who could forget the words of Jackson Browne and Glenn Frey, "Well I'm standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona, such a fine sight to see. It's a girl my Lord in a flatbed Ford, slowin' down to take a look at me."

They even have a park there complete with sculpture and mural of these words in this Eagles song. Worth a look with all the other Winslow attractions . . . especially to us music buffs.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Just got back from the Arizona vacation with the wife and boy child. Got stuck on Hiway 17 for two and a half hours cause of a huge grass fire that closed the freeway ( 116 degree heat- lovely) got to Williams AZ and took the train to the Grand Canyon and got rained on- train broke down on the way back (112 degree heat- lovely) Went to Winslow AZ and stood on whats left of the corner ( See reference to Eagle's song, "Take it Easy") Building next to corner burnt down so whole corner is fenced off. Went to the Crater, got sick- Bad Coors Lite fron the night before. Went and saw the Painted Desert and Petrified Forrest- almost got arrested ( some tourist thought they saw me putting petrified wood in my pocket and turned me in to the park ranger- actually was changing film, dropped the old roll out of the camera- picked it up and put it in my pocket. After being searched- got an apology)
Went to Jerome via Prescott and almost wet my pants on some of those curves- really would like to take that drive some day with the GT and the road closed- but wife says "No way- I would kill myself" Visited Sedona- really a nice town and scenic drive.
All and all had a pretty good vacation- love the look on peoples faces when I said that 100 plug degree heat and 10% humidity was kinda cool compared to Houston's 95 degree heat and 70% humidity.
Thanks to all on the list with your recommendations- think we hit all of them!!! :cool:

·
Paul and Amanda Opelers
64 Posts
Go up the San Francisco Peaks and either hike up Humphreys Peak (~4hrs each way) from 9500 to about 12.5Kft, Humphreys Peak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or do the easy way and ride a ski lift up to the top of Agassiz at about 12kft

also try Sunset Crater
Sunset Crater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Meteor Crator
Meteor Crater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or the Wupatki Ruins
Wupatki National Monument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or Grand Falls
Waterfalls of Arizona - Grand Falls; Flagstaff, Navajo Reservation

Or drop in to Lowell
Lowell Observatory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or NOFS (where I work :burnout:
United States Naval Observatory Flagstaff Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paul
73 Yellow Opel GT
Flagstaff AZ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.