Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pulling teeth/master cylinder

So I 'm rebuilding my '72 GT master cylinder. It's got scum in the reservoir. The disk brakes are sticking on both sides. I get the the master cylinder out (no easy feat) and begin disassembling it closely following the instuctions in two service manuals. I'm at the point where you push the main cylinder in and stick a tool in one of the ports to hold position and then remove the snap ring. Fine. There's a flat washer, then a rubber seal. Out they come. Then there's a white nylon washer that will not come out for #!*%. After repeated attempts I'm done. In frustration I flush the master cylinders thoroughly with clean brake fluid. The cylinder action is much smoother. Reassemble and reinstall. The brake peddle action is better but on test drive the pads are still sticking.
A. What kinda majic does it take to get that first cylinder out?
B. If it's not the master cylinder causing the sticking...would one tackle the calipers next? Power booster? :confused:

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A guy would be able to confirm bad brake hoses by disconnecting at the caliper, putting the loose end in a container with fluid and then pumping the peddle to see if fluid is drawn back into the hose...right?

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update

As suggested both brake hoses were replaced today. The front pads are still sticking although the brake peddle action has improved again. I just ordered rebuilt calipers which I should have installed this time next week. This weekend I'll paint wheels and get new tires Monday. I'm doing everything I can to help float the U.S. economy.:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.