Opel GT Forum banner

Flexible Cooling Fan

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jimsky 
#1 ·
I'm still considering my options tweaking whatever HP I can out of my GT's low compression engine. Done all the big obvious stuff, I'm now looking at the radiator fan.

I'm investigating an electric fan and maybe an oil cooler if needed. I'm a bit leary of this route, I've read the OEM Opel cooling system is marginal at best. I was talking to another engineer at work who's into hot rods. He told me to look into "flex fans" as a simple bolt on solution. He says at idle the fan blades really cut into the air and create a hurricane of air flow. As engine speed picks up, the blades flatten out creating less resistance, hence less load on the engine.

I see PermaCool has a series of flex fan available. Does anyone out there have any experience with flex fans? Has anyone actually put one on an Opel? Comments appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Put one on my old '72 Toyota Corolla once. Almost cut my hand off while trying to set the timing on the engine. Those stainless steel blades are like razors. I now ONLY use electric fans....

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.