Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Opeler
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Wondering if anyone has ever swapped out the stock transmission tube/dipstick for a flexible aftermarket one? If so, what size did you get and how has it performed?

Any help or input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Opel Key Master
4,886 Posts
I have used a Lokar 24inch one. The adapter for the Opel transmission needs to be modified due to a ledge on the case of the 180. Also it is hard to fill with the tube, it comes with an adapter and tube, but doesn't fit most funnels. The Opel to the Extreme has it on it, I mounted it out of the way to clear the side drafts. Since you are running DSDs, you will find the tube hits the intake and if you bend the tube, it doesn't seat properly, so I went with the flexible one.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,987 Posts
It's because of the dual side drafts, right? You could borrow the idea I did by attempting to rebend the oem fill tube, discovering that you can't bend'em without crackin' 'em, and chopping it off just above that mounting bracket bar/lever. You could leave it that way and just feed a tube and funnel into it to fill it or you can attempt to add a rebent piece of pipe that dodges the carb. I tried soldering a piece of conduit to the fill tube, but it didn't stick and brazing is probably the way to go.

But, still, even if you installed a rebent pipe, there's hardly any room for that fill tube and it interferes with messing around with the carb. Myself, I'm going to use the chopped off fill tube and fill the tranny with a hose and funnel. I'll either cut down the dip stick to fit simply as a plug for the tube or come up with some sort of cap for the tube. I've never found the dipstick reading to have any basis in reality after 35 years of auto GT driving. Just fill the tranny until it works and doesn't slip on turns and you're done. If, a year later, the tranny starts slipping a little, get your hose and funnel out and add a little.

·
Super Moderator
8,154 Posts
If the unit aint leaking why check the level?
Or are you suggesting that the differential also needs dip-stick?:confused:
I know it sounds sick but sometimes I like to sniff the A/T fluid. As far as the rear diff., it's far easier to check the level on it than it is a sealed A/T, unless there is a trick I don't know about.

Harold

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,426 Posts

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I know it sounds sick but sometimes I like to sniff the A/T fluid. As far as the rear diff., it's far easier to check the level on it than it is a sealed A/T, unless there is a trick I don't know about.

Harold
No not sick at all.
After a initial scan for codes and a test drive.
Our next step is a pan inspection.
Paying attention to fluid quality and any metal that’s in the sump.

BTW have you gotten any more cars in your salvage yard that might be interesting?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts