Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, now that the ball is rolling on the flywheels, can someone tell me which year and engine S-10 clutch I need to be looking for? How about favorite brands? Since this clutch is so much larger then the stock Opel, I am assuming that a racing type clutch is not needed, just a good heavy duty one.

My new 38 DGES came yesterday--3 days after auction ended. $250 off e-bay...he still has a few left. Now to call Venolia for pins...

Thanks,
James the parts collector

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Hmmmm, I have a part number, but can't remember the brand....
That probably doesn't help you much, I know. For most street cars I've used new clutchs (as opposed to rebuilt), with a kevlar lining. In theory anyway, they should be good for about 200,000 miles in an Opel. I've never measured ANY wear, even after checking thickness of the disc with 50,000 miles on them. Kevlar wears incredibly if broken in properly. Not aggressive either, it's easy to engage. For racing or other hard usage, I've used segmented metallic discs from Ram. More aggressive for sure, but they grab something fierce, and do NOT slip under hard use with lots of power.

Bob

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From flywheel to clutch

I know I brought this up a few months ago, but can't seem to find it.

While shoping for a new S-10 clutch, I've noticed in the listing that there are different ones for different years and engine sizes.

What year and engine S-10 do we need?

I have seen some reasonable prices for new heavy duty clutch kits here on the 'net. Like Bob said, the difference in price between the new and rebuilt units is marginal. I think I'll go with a name brand unit, (Zoom,Centerforce, Hays, Etc.)

James

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Well, I really can't remember exactly which clutch I've used in the past. I know it's for a 2.8 litre engine, and I seem to recall it being the 1985-1989 application (?). I did happen to find a page of notes from many years ago pertaining to the S-10 clutch application, and on it I had paper-clipped a tag from a clutch kit. Problem is, I don't remember the brand. The number I have is a '2 1069', so maybe this can be used to cross-reference to another brand? I had it jotted down that this particular kit was a new kit, not rebuilt, and had kevlar pucks on the clutch disc. That's all though.

Bob

·
Certified Opelholic
1,466 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
I screwed up on that part number for the 9 1/8" clutch kit. The number I gave above is a 7" clutch for a Chevette. The number should have been a '2 1074', which is for a Chevy S-10 with 2.8 V6. The company I used (product was in stock locally) is Westling Manufacturing Co., and they also have a '2 1074SG', which is their 'Super Generation' kit which is a heavier duty kevlar kit.

Bob

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up my clutch today. I bought a Zoom high performance clutch kit for a 1985 S-10 with the 2.8 V6. I got it from Advanced Auto Parts, formerly Discount Auto. It cost $180, which was inline with any that I found on the 'net. I found that they were the only local parts house that carried anything other then just OEM type units. This has a puck style disc. I'm not sure, but it looks like Kevlar/carbon fiber. Should last forever!

Am I correct in assuming that the Chevy throw-out bearing works with the Opel also?

Bestus,
James
2.0L in process!

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
N61WP said:
Am I correct in assuming that the Chevy throw-out bearing works with the Opel also?
Yup, and the quality is usually better than most Opel bearings.

·
299 Posts
hey what is the part number for the clutch you bought
i will need one soon
also for the pivet ball prob you could also use a shim between the crank and the flywheel to bring it closer in the bell housing

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zoom part #HP 1904-1
This is the whole 3 piece kit.
Hope this helps.
Jc

·
299 Posts
yes i wil get one it came with a clutch alignment tool right as well as a throw out bearing right
also do you remember the year and engine size for the s10 cause i know theyy will give me a hard time if i just give them a part #]

·
'69 GT- Guards Red
26 Posts
This Zoom clutch kit is for a 1985 CHEVROLET S10 PICKUP V6 2.8 Liter 2BBL.

Maybe ordered online-
http://www.partsamerica.com

Zoom HP19041
Kevlar HP Clutch Set; Cover Type: Raised Diaphragm; 9 1/8" Clutch, 14 Spline, 1" Hub
90-Day Free Replacement
Ships in 5 days
Weight: 15 lbs.
$181.99

You can save shipping if you go to the store.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts