Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my GT two years ago it was in pieces. I haven't got to the stage of hooking up a battery and starting the engine so of course I haven't seen any of the electricals working. (see my photo in the members site) I am in the process of removing the amber lense fog lamps and re-chroming the housings. I was going to replace the single bulb with a strong halogen sealed beam but when I was reading through the manual I find that these are not in fact fog lamps but turn indicators in the fog lamp housings, and the fog lamp switch on the dash is non functional.

If this is the case I would still like to install a strong set of clear fog lamps mostly to double as driving lights just in case the main ones malfunction. Any suggestions on what type and where to place them?

Any comments? (aside from, hey stupid there are no fog lamps on a 71 GT)

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
aircraft landing lights

While not exactly legal, I like the look of the 100w 4" sealed-beam spotlight/ landing light bulbs. The origional retainers will hold them, or any 4" sealed-beam bulb, in place as long as you don't break the little rods off taking the old amber housings out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fog Lights

So are you saying that the lights in the fog lamp housings are in fact fog lights and not turn signals?

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
Graham,

The Euro versions of the GT had fog (actually driving) lights where we get the turn signal/running light combination. I'll post a photo below.

To change them into fog lights, you simply need to install new wiring, a relay activated by the stock switch, and powered from the main fuse block (make sure that the position is "fused", and if not, add a 20 amp fuse if you are using 12 gauge wire), and the appropriate lenses and/or bulbs.

You also need to run the wiring from the old lights and convert the front side lamps to dual element(signal/running light) bulbs, which is pretty simple. Just carefully grind off the studs that retain the single element bulb holder, and get a pair of dual element holders (Canuck Tire or any auto parts store) and install those.

I had heard that OGTS sold the Euro version lamps, but when I looked on their site, I just see something they call "Special order: European Passing Lights". At $159 (USD) apiece! I think that a 4 inch sealed beam would suffice, or perhaps an aftermarket 4 inch driving bulb.

It's on my list of desired changes, but falls somewhat after "get the car back on the road before ALL of my children are grown up".

HTH

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
no

The lamps are indeed turn signals and marker lights. The housings, however, are sized perfectly to remove the bulb, reflector, and lens and replace the whole works in the chrome retaining ring with a 4" sealed beam bulb. You will then either have to turn your curved lights on the front into turn signals to replace them, or add different turn signals to the front somewhere.

If you do a search through the forum there are a couple of threads on the subject.

·
Registered
20 Posts
fog lights

Why not add some after market driving lights. I think that modifying the side lights for turn signals and having the original lights set up would look good. Aftermarket driving lights are not that expensive.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fog Lights 71 GT

Thanks guys for all the info. Is the brown wire on the fog light the ground wire?

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
driving lights...

spring is almost here.

i am driving my GT! 100+ miles or so this week...it is great.besides
a little tempermental...she runs great...with the new exhaust.the car seems to rev more wilingly.

I dont want to get hit like a bug on someones windshield.I want lights on all the time...but NOT the bug eyes...the car looks better with bug eyes down...

I did not feel like i want to re wire my lights to european opel style ... so I just added aftermarket lights..they are halogen and look like the modern(all plastic-computerized-throwaway )cars on the road.

I have a hard wired -lighted switch to the dash..i like it...so far so good.

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Driving Lights

This is a pic ture of the genuine GM Euro Driving Lights for the GT. With luck the part number is decipherible.
May be able to find some at an old Buick Dealership???

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,813 Posts
Sadly they were never imported into the US Jim, and they are probably discontinued in Europe as well. Years ago when I was a distributor for Parsget, I got a set for myself. When I ordered the housings to go with them, the were reproductions, and not cheap. That was probably 10 years back.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
cheap

also known as cost effective

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
!!

Bob, No wonder the ones I pictured went for way over $200!
look like they were NOS ones in real good order.

I have heard that Hella do 4" units for tractors that fit into the original blinker rims.

Looks like you have come up with a neat solution, Bucky!

Walked into an old GM dealership some years ago and found a set of NOS 1957 Chevy reversing lights on the shelf that had been sent way out here by mistake so it is amazing what does lie around for years sometimes!

·
Super Moderator
13,813 Posts
These might work, not sure about the dimensional limitations on the GT offhand. They certainly have a *vintage* look to them. And they have them in long range, driving, and fog styles.

http://www.kchilites.com/repl_50_series.html

135 Posts
Ampere rating of factory installed fog lamp switch

Anyone know the ampere rating of the factory installed fog lamp switch in a 71 Opel GT? Maybe the rating is marked on the side of the switch if someone has one laying around. I would like to use this switch to power up some driving lamps (55 watt bulb X 2) without having to use a relay if possible. Did the factory use a relay for the European Opel GT driving lamps?

·
Senior Contributor
5,045 Posts
Anyone know the ampere rating of the factory installed fog lamp switch in a 71 Opel GT? Maybe the rating is marked on the side of the switch if someone has one laying around. I would like to use this switch to power up some driving lamps (55 watt bulb X 2) without having to use a relay if possible. Did the factory use a relay for the European Opel GT driving lamps?
Don't cheat.........use a relay.....it's the correct way to do it one way or the other, but I doubt the switch could handle it anyway.

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts
The factory 'did' use a relay for the driving lights.

BTW, there is a set of these lights on ebay right now.
ebay auction # 280341606767

1 - 17 of 17 Posts