Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever come across this problem? When my GT engine is off, the glass on the temp/fuel gauge is clear, but when I run my engine, the glass fogs up. None of my other gauges do this. I have not taken this gauge apart yet.

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
if you take out the guage you can use a hair dryer to blow warm air in thruogh the bulb hole to drive out the moisture , just be carefull to not get it to hot you only want to dry it not toast it:D

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
all my gauges are fogged...bad

the only gauge that is not permanently fogged is my new clock.

I have seen other opels ...many are not fogged as bad as mine.

mine are amoung the worst I have seen..seems as is it is a type of oil vapor.I also have to clean off the insides of my windshield and all interior glasss on a bi-wekly basis. I assume it is engine gas/crank case vapor gas that I smell when my car is hot.

when I last pulled my dash panel to replace my clock..the gauge
units seemed sealed as the bezel is press fitted on.The way I believe you would get accesss to the internal gauge glass is to
grind offf the press fit bezel rim that hold s the glasss on.

there must be a prior post on how to do this..

if you just have water fog....pull a light socket and blow dry air thru the socket hole?(Computer type canned air maybe?)

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
bucky im not preaching but do you smoke bye any chance?
as nick o'teen that well known Irishman seems to collect all over small cars
and he leaves a sticky oily deposit where ever he goes:)
if you tack real care you can prise the chrome edges at the back of the bezel out and take the glass out to get inside then nip them back up with long nose pliers

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
My temp/fuel gauge is fogged too. I am pretty sure that this starting happening after I started storing the car under a "breathable" car cover. I haven't taken the time to pull the dash to see what's going on back there (too busy driving the car), but expect a pool of water somewhere in the dash. I know for a fact that my windshield has a small leak, which could be a contributing factor. Has anyone else seen this happen in conjunction with a windshield leak or using a car cover?

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
The "fog" on a window or gauge that needs to be cleaned off (seems like an oil) is caused by the chemicals in new vinyl, carpet, seat covers, or whatever, "gassing" off. That is the same stuff that puts off the "new" car smell.

Try, if you can, inserting some of the moisture collectors that come in various pill bottles or such. They usually have some kind of silicone granual or similar to absorb moisture. When they get in a dry area, the moisture evaporates.

I started using them in underwater camera cases to keep the lenses from fogging when the water temperature would change drastically.

·
Super Moderator
3,215 Posts
I don't think the problem comes from being under a car cover. I keep my GT inside a garage all the time and it still fogs up! Now, I will admit when I had my other GT before I sold it, I kept it under a cover and the gauges were fogged up worse than the one that I keep inside.

Roy

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
under cover

celeste is ALWAYS under cover..when I park it at work..she is under cover to protect from sun. car is a lot cooler on the drive home.

under cover must partially exlpain my fogged gauges and windows.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the replys. I'm glad I'm not alone. This winter I'm going to remove all of my gauges, remove the bezel, clean it and leave the gauges on my radiators in my house to dry out. I will let you how it works in the spring:)

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
removal of bezels

Jtthunder:when you remove the glass from your gauges to clean them..there must be way
to "rig it and stilll look right"..so that the bezels can be removed from the front. w/o panel removal.

I think if I clean my gauge glass..I fear they will re- fog.I plan to always keep my gt under a car cover to protect from the summer sun...
In kc mo we had ten 100 degree+days...from what others said in this post..there is a relation to covering the car and off gassing.Especially if you had been replacing,glueing,painting car dash, dyeing vinyl,carpet glue..which is what I have been doing...with more to go.

It is no small job to pull the panel,pull the gauges,teases out the galss and reinstall..let us know how it goes.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
repalcing a fogged gauge

my tach was my worst fogged gauge...I think it is partly due to the fact that I always keep my car covered from the summer sun when its not in the garage.

my tach was also color faded.the orange arm and the redline area. I bought 2 used gauges on ebay. and picked the best one..one had good colors..I repainted the arm ornage..looks like new...and it works to boot.

the Gt dash is the best..the angles are right...(I just read a review of the z4-bmw..convertible..gauges are at wrong angles)

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
day light

the tach and clock are an upgrade over what I had,

the total cost for both...less than $50

Attachments

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well since I have my dash out for a winter project, I cleaned all of the glass on my guages. They look 100% better. It took about 2 hours to clean all 5 guages, inside and out. Not too bad. I will be installing the dash in the spring(Don't want to risk a cracked dashpad and I'm not driving it in the winter with all of the Pennsylvania salt). I will let you guys know in the spring to see if they fog up.

There was a residue on the inside of the glass on the fuel/temp guage which cleaned up with Windex. This was the gauge with the most fogging problems.

If I need to do this again, I will have to remove the dash. I don't see a way to remove the glass without removing the dash.

P.S. I finally got a Weber!! Thanks Jim. The rebuild is complete except for the power valve(forgot to order that one:(

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
anti-fog, while you're at it?

While you have the works apart, I would suggest at a minimum using some of the anti-fog stuff you get for glasses on both sides of the glass, just in case. You might also try rain-x, as it is supposed to work for fogging and will probably last longer.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
airbob101

You must remove the guage from the instrument panel. Then use a small flatblade screwdriver to "peel" the chrome away from the gauge. The chrome metal must be peeled from the back of the gauge. It doesn't take much and you won't see any damage on the front of the gauge when you reinstall it back in the instrument panel. Take your time and you will have good results.

·
Opeler
30 Posts
The reason I was asking, a couple months ago I was replacing my cracked dash panel with a pristine one and was using the gauges that "looked the best". After reinstalling the dash panel, I discovered that the tach didn't work properly. It would jump to 1000 rpm or so as soon as I turned the key. Yesterday I tested the other two tachs and they both work but the inside of the glass has a dull film. Just goes to show that looks can be deceiving. I will try your suggestion and see what happens. Thanks for the help, Bob

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
way to remove bezel

I can now get the bezel off in 2min or less.

I use a dremel and a reinforced cut off wheel., I cut the crimped on edges..cut the back corner...then layer of tape to hold it back on..its not a stressed area as the finger nuts hold it to the dash.
it will never show.it is soft plated brass.

may not be the best way..but it is fast.

change your bulbs,polish all the contacts..it will be bright again.

my 2 cents

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
treating moisture fogged gauges

i think there are 2 sources of fogg
fogg type1- offgassing petroleum based
fogg type 2-water

I was driving in sub freezing temps in a wet car-100% humidity and i had fogg type 2-

only 1 gauge had trouble clearing out water moisture..the gauge with the non-functioning bulb....my theory..lack of heat from the incandescent bulb..

therefore''if you experiment with leds in the stock instrument panel..i think you will run into fogged gauges..since leds carry no heat and have NO hairdryer effect..

my clock cleared the fogg the fastest...as it has 2 bulbs..(the stock incandescent AND the extra incadescent I wired in)...double hairdryer effect

I am Bucky and this is my 2 cents.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the dash is back in the car. I got some fog in the middle of the temp/fuel gauge after 10 minutes, but after 20 minutes, the fog cleared. So far so good.

Cleaning the inside of the glass also made the gauges look brand new.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts