Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't stand seeing this car sitting in the garage so it's time for someone to enjoy it. 17K original miles. I'm the second owner. 4-speed, sunroof, mostly original. Engine has good compression. I just can't get it to run reliably. PM me and we can talk. Gas tank done. Brakes done. Have all the exhaust parts including original resonator with chrome tip. More pictures available. I'm asking $5000 which I feel is justified because of its condition. This is not a rusted out Manta.

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about the half-hearted post but I'm broken hearted to have to part ways. Life's realities seem to become clearer as we age. Here are some other photos. I have interest already so I'm going to go by the order I've received PMs. In my opinion, someone is going to buy a Weber from a reputable source, install it and it will fire right up. I went down to the barn earlier and tried to start it. Not start. Hit it with starting fluid and it immediately fired and ran until the fuel was gone.

New tank, battery area, fuse box, sunroof works

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One last thing since this has come up a lot recently. NH doesn't issue titles for older vehicles. What I have is the MA title showing the original owner and I have a bill a sale transferring ownership to my wife. There will be no questions about ownership.

·
Super Moderator
13,637 Posts
Beautiful car Tim. Shame you’re getting rid of it!

Reactions: guyopel

·
Über Genius
9,117 Posts
Your asking price is very fair. This is a great deal for someone.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Looks to be a beautiful car indeed. Sorry you need to sell it...

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a request for more pictures and since my Outlook doesn't work anymore after the Windows update, it is easier to post here. I had requests about the front frame rails so there is a series attached here. The rust spot on the left frame rail seems to be surface and was solid to mild poking.

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The now only trim damage. I used the wrong jack head and it slipped off the jacking point.

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The interior is' original. The driver side bolster is worn as is the top of the back seat. The back seat doesn't look like anyone ever sat back there. The driver's seat also seams like something is broken on the frame. I argued with the seller that there was no way a seat would be worn like that with only 17K. The response was he was a big guy and loved the Manta because he could fit in it unlike the other cars of the day. I have found nothing that would indicate the car has more than stated. I thought I had a picture of the passenger seat but it has no flaws.

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The headliner has been patched in the rear. I was told mice damage. I think sunroof repair but the bottom line is the headliner is not perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gill called a while ago to confirm my card info. Very pleasant. I thanked him and told him I hoped this worked. His response was "why wouldn't it, as long as you set the....., just follow the directions. I'm afraid I will find like Jack Dawson did that as hard as you try, when you are in over your head you are in over your head. I think back at one of Gordon's comments years ago as it rang a bell then. What "fool" (something like that) would buy a 40 year old car and think they can just drive it? Bingo. So it's up to USPS now. At least we are having an Indian Summer now so it nice in the garage these days.

·
Opeler
1,067 Posts
Gill called a while ago to confirm my card info. Very pleasant. I thanked him and told him I hoped this worked. His response was "why wouldn't it, as long as you set the....., just follow the directions. I'm afraid I will find like Jack Dawson did that as hard as you try, when you are in over your head you are in over your head. I think back at one of Gordon's comments years ago as it rang a bell then. What "fool" (something like that) would buy a 40 year old car and think they can just drive it? Bingo. So it's up to USPS now. At least we are having an Indian Summer now so it nice in the garage these days.
I know how you feel all too well. I have wanted to throw in the towel on a few occasions. Luckily, like you, my wife wanted to keep the car and now my little boys couldn’t imagine not having it. So, it’s onward and upward every day. I too feel in over my head a lot...and over the years that feeling has led to me trust a few people to “help me out” by doing some work for me and it’s never ended well...until I started trusting experience Opelers, and now I feel like I’m in the right direction. So, in the last year I’ve had to tackle the “in over my head” and it has resulted in a great learning experience. I still have some areas that I feel like I may be biting off more than I can chew, but I’ve made a list and am tackling each thing one by one and the whole plate is much easier to digest. Plus, it allows me to learn more and do it better and truly know what is being done to my car and not relying on what someone has told me they did.

I share all that to say, you aren’t alone and I believe you will tackle this issue and get to start really enjoying your car very soon!!

All the best,

Eric

·
Super Moderator
13,637 Posts
Tim, if you need help setting up a Weber carb let me know.

·
Über Genius
9,117 Posts
So much for me trying to sell my bodily fluids to be able to buy this one.

·
Opeler
55 Posts
I grew up as a kid in the backseat of a 73 copy of your car and through the windows saw every country of Europe. If your car had small bumpers i would probably have already reached for my checkbook. It's a wonderful car in great shape. going to keep thinking about it tonight....

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought this car because my original Manta turned me into a car guy. I was thrilled when I found this car in NE. In the end though, I never have been able to bond with this car like I did with the original. That car saved my life a number of times. What ended up happening is that I have gotten much more joy from this site. It became less about driving the new one around but just drive it up on the front lawn and invite other Opel owners over for an Opels on the Lawn gettogether. We have the perfect location. Lawn right up to the road with plenty of traffic with classics, muscle cars and exotics going by often. I suspect there would be a traffic jam. Pam is a great cook. It would be fun.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts