Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,961 Posts
That sounds good Tim! I think everyone here would just as soon see you and your wife enjoy it. And if we get that place up in Maine, then you guys have a destination for a road trip.....

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you for the encouragement. If I get it running, I'll hate to put any miles on it. :) That is the one thing I have been able to do with the car over the eight years. Keep it an 17K car.

The original line is being maintained through my follies.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,961 Posts
The enjoyment of the car is pretty limited if you just look at it! I have a '62 Dodge Dart which I got with 59K miles and have put 3K on it. As long as I don't go wild, then I am OK with driving it some. FWIW IMHO and all that:
  • Unless you have enough documentation to support the 17k miles is correct, then it has a limited value. It will have the same value at 27k miles IMHO.
  • Please don't take offense but.... The car's pix show enough flaws to not make it super high valued. (It looks to have set outside some of its life in an occasionally moist environment.) And some aspects are not original.
  • Driving a car in good weather is a good way to preserve the drivetain, and getting it out into dry air helps keep the inner panels free of moisture.
  • The soft parts degrade whether it is driven or not.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I know how you feel all too well. I have wanted to throw in the towel on a few occasions. Luckily, like you, my wife wanted to keep the car and now my little boys couldn’t imagine not having it. So, it’s onward and upward every day. I too feel in over my head a lot...and over the years that feeling has led to me trust a few people to “help me out” by doing some work for me and it’s never ended well...until I started trusting experience Opelers, and now I feel like I’m in the right direction. So, in the last year I’ve had to tackle the “in over my head” and it has resulted in a great learning experience. I still have some areas that I feel like I may be biting off more than I can chew, but I’ve made a list and am tackling each thing one by one and the whole plate is much easier to digest. Plus, it allows me to learn more and do it better and truly know what is being done to my car and not relying on what someone has told me they did.

I share all that to say, you aren’t alone and I believe you will tackle this issue and get to start really enjoying your car very soon!!

All the best,

Eric
I have to agree 100% with jayhaekjesse33 on everything that he said. There have been many time that I have felt in way over my head but you know what I eventually figure it out, many times with help from the forum. The project can be overwhelming however you have to look at each part of the project seperately and just concentrate on one thing at a time. It will happen and it takes time, lots of time. I have had spells were I have gone years without touching the car mainly because I just could not get the damn thing to run right and I refuse to take it to a machanic I mean after all how could anyone know more than than the combined widsom of this forum. I found my second wind this past November and have been working a lot on this car, I mean a lot and have acomplished things I never thought I would or could accomplish. My only training is that I am cheap and a do it yourselfer, I seriously don't pay anyone to do anything if I can do it, only a couple of things come to mind that I won't do, roofing and sheet rock, well, small repairs but not a room. Anyway hang in there and take one project at a time one day you will be glad you did. I also think that a majority of the people in this forum do the restorations for the feeling of accomplishment. I know everytime that I finish a major project I give myself a big pat on the back and move on to the next project. Good Luck. Carl

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The enjoyment of the car is pretty limited if you just look at it! I have a '62 Dodge Dart which I got with 59K miles and have put 3K on it. As long as I don't go wild, then I am OK with driving it some. FWIW IMHO and all that:
  • Unless you have enough documentation to support the 17k miles is correct, then it has a limited value. It will have the same value at 27k miles IMHO.
  • Please don't take offense but.... The car's pix show enough flaws to not make it super high valued. (It looks to have set outside some of its life in an occasionally moist environment.) And some aspects are not original.
  • Driving a car in good weather is a good way to preserve the drivetain, and getting it out into dry air helps keep the inner panels free of moisture.
  • The soft parts degrade whether it is driven or not.
It's what it is. I've tried not to hide anything. It is not mint but compared to the Mantas that I've seen lately it is in better condition even with its flaws. We'll see what happens.

Thanks,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can't stand seeing this car sitting in the garage so it's time for someone to enjoy it. 17K original miles. I'm the second owner. 4-speed, sunroof, mostly original. Engine has good compression. I just can't get it to run reliably. PM me and we can talk. Gas tank done. Brakes done. Have all the exhaust parts including original resonator with chrome tip. More pictures available. I'm asking $5000 which I feel is justified because of its condition. This is not a rusted out Manta.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,465 Posts
I may have some decent original front seat upholstery to fix the drivers seat.

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
Shouldn't the thread title be changed to NOT for sale?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I may have some decent original front seat upholstery to fix the drivers seat.
There is a place in MA called Osgoods which carries the fabric. My wife's cousin does auto upholstery so it's on the list but things like upholstery come after the state inspection which requires you drive the car to a service station.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's in. Turned the key and it started. It's running, it's running really well. holy XXXX, turn key off as motor heads to redline. How could it be wide open. Look at carb and there is a spring hanging loose. Looks like it was dislodged when I installed the ball joint. Hook that up and it starts but won't run. My helper was cooking dinner so tomorrow. I'm sure the timing needs to be adjusted.

·
Opeler
1,061 Posts
It's in. Turned the key and it started. It's running, it's running really well. holy XXXX, turn key off as motor heads to redline. How could it be wide open. Look at carb and there is a spring hanging loose. Looks like it was dislodged when I installed the ball joint. Hook that up and it starts but won't run. My helper was cooking dinner so tomorrow. I'm sure the timing needs to be adjusted.
What a great feeling! Congrats!! Get it running and out a few miles on it

·
Registered
333 Posts
Amazing what a new carb can do. I purchased a used 32/36 around 22 years ago and it never worked right so I purchased a new one. Just for fun I recently rebuilt the old one and found that the primary idle jet was only a 45 so no wonder it did not run right on a 2.0 - at that time I knew nothing of jets and my new carb is running a 65 idle jet. So anyway turns out there was nothing wrong with the first carb except my lack of knowledge. Glad you had a positive experience and yes that always feels good.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,465 Posts
Does it start on just the key or do you have to play with the throttle?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I was playing with the timing but it will start with the key. The choke is on so it should be on a high idle and it didn't seem it. I suspect that most of my problems are lack of knowledge. Tomorrow is another day but I do need to get the oil boiler cleaned. The last item on the list of things to be done before winter. Thanks everyone.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,465 Posts
Even new out of the box there will be some adjusting.

The choke housing is adjustable, the fast idle screw, the idle speed screw and the idle mixture screw.
If it starts on just the key, no pedal, then the float is not low, I think.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,961 Posts
Hey Tim, How old is the fuel? I know you replaced the fuel tank but if the fuel is many months old, then it has oxidized to some degree and will not run as well as fresh fuel. Reeeealy old fuel will run like carp, or not at all. If it is old, then you'll really do yourself a favor to get the old stuff out and some new fuel in. I'd never adjust a new carb with old fuel.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Quick update. The gas is not that old. This morning it fired right up but it's worse now that I kept tinkering with it. I haven't played with the carb adjustments other than to set the idle to two-turns out. I have to get the timing right. While it was running with my wife at the controls I tried to adjust the timing. It just didn't seem to change much other than getting worse and worse even going back to the previous position. One thing that is nice is when it does run there is no blue cloud coming out of the exhaust.

I needed to get my boiler done. This is how things have been going. I just needed to open the boiler and brush and vacuum the combustion chamber and heat exchanger. Go to undo the two bolts and quickly discover that the professional before me cross-threaded one of them. I got it out going back and forth a bunch of times but then had to hunt down a replacement. So throw in the trip to ACE hardware and the morning was gone. The only way to test the boiler other than turning on the heat is using hot water. A shower sound like just the ticket. At least the boiler works.

I'll have time this week.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts