Opel GT Forum banner

141 - 160 of 182 Posts

·
1,217 Posts
Pilkington sells new windshields for $325. Shipping is $175 out of Columbus, OH. They are currently out of stock. They get them from Europe. Word is that they fit really well. They sell clear and green tinted models. When they have them, you can pick up boxed windshields at their location and avoid all shipping costs.

·
Opeler
919 Posts
I picked up 3 from their Ohio location several years ago. The one that was installed in my GT needed to be trimmed a little on the upper right. They CLAIM to have corrected that issue since then. Others have reported they fit fine to they are a tight fit. This subject comes up about once a year. I think someone on here ordered one through Summit last year and they ended up cancelling the order.

·
1,691 Posts
I ordered and paid for one last year from Summit. I waited 4 months then was given a full refund because they could not fill the order.
John

·
Registered
5 Posts
They are still listed here :

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...s/year/1972/make/opel/model/manta?prefilter=1 <- MANTA !

They had a GT listed.. Now can you get one..? That was the question earlier last year when someone ordered one.. not sure the outcome.

https://www.pilkington.com/en/us/automotive/pilkington-classics Call them and let us know.

MrFiat Claims to have them.. but don't know anyone that has gotten one fro them ( Price is high too ) :

https://mrfiat.com/opel-gt-windshield.html

Thanks.

·
GT Owner
391 Posts
Pilkington Classic

Pilkington sells new windshields for $325. Shipping is $175 out of Columbus, OH. They are currently out of stock. They get them from Europe. Word is that they fit really well. They sell clear and green tinted models. When they have them, you can pick up boxed windshields at their location and avoid all shipping costs.
Currently they have 17 of the green tint windshields in stock. Add additional shipping of $85 if going to a residence instead of commercial.

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
Has anyone recently installed a windshield from Pilkington Classic? In the past, I know there has been
problems with proper fit and having to trim the windshield. Just wondered if the problem has been corrected.

There price is not that bad even with shipping. Fortunately we Opel GT owners can get a windshield within the US.

·
GT Owner
391 Posts
Has anyone recently installed a windshield from Pilkington Classic? In the past, I know there has been
problems with proper fit and having to trim the windshield. Just wondered if the problem has been corrected.

There price is not that bad even with shipping. Fortunately we Opel GT owners can get a windshield within the US.
I asked them that question. Reply was they have sold ten from this production Run since October, 2019 and no negative feedback about fitment. I will be installing mine in a couple of weeks. After that I will have a used windshield available. Has chip in one corner but useable. Prefer local pickup so if someone is traveling to Texas ; I’m near Austin.

·
Opeler
1,131 Posts
I asked them that question. Reply was have sold ten from this production Run and no negative feedback about fitment. I will be installing mine in a couple of weeks. After that I will have a used windshield available. Has chip in one corner but useable. Prefer local pickup so if someone is traveling to Texas ; I’m near Austin.
Well, if the one I purchased from them is one of those "10", then their lack of feedback for one is because it has never been installed.

In reference to the windshield that has a chip in the edge, I would NEVER even bother installing it. It WILL crack. I have seen 3 instances where a windshield just had a "tiny" "minor chip" on the edge, that cracked within weeks of being installed.

·
GT Owner
391 Posts
Well, if the one I purchased from them is one of those "10", then their lack of feedback for one is because it has never been installed.

In reference to the windshield that has a chip in the edge, I would NEVER even bother installing it. It WILL crack. I have seen 3 instances where a windshield just had a "tiny" "minor chip" on the edge, that cracked within weeks of being installed.
So I should junk it ?

The ten were since October 2019.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2 Less

So I should junk it ?

I ordered two today, the last review I saw was that Pilkington had corrected the fit problem and everything is good now. I am sure by now the Opel community would have spoken up on if these weren't fitting correctly.

·
Opeler
1,131 Posts
So I should junk it ?

That depends on the severity of the chip. It is conceivable that if you could polish the chip so as to remove any kind of sharp edge (ie stress risers) it might survive. Cannot confirm as I have never attempted it but it is possible. If one had no other option, it might be worth a try. So I am not saying it should be tossed (of course I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to car parts, so..... :D) just saying if you have a new piece of glass, why risk the work necessary to swap it out, if you don't need to. Someone desperate and within range of you to pick it up might feel its worth a try, Pilkington might quite making them and then it would be a good last ditch viable solution. I have the original out of my GT, had a bullet hole chip in it right in the middle, brought it with when I moved JUST IN CASE. I will hold onto it untill I either accidentally break it or actually use it because the new Pilk I have gets broke, or I die.
Whether you should toss it falls on how your storage/life situation is. Like I said, if someone is close, and willing to brave the efforts more power to them, I was just sharing my experiences with windshields. On the bright side, at least these damn things are not GLUED in like the newer cars nowadays, cause if they were, I would say yeah just toss it :cool:
And yes I know I said I would never, but hey, there are rare exceptions even to MY objections :)

·
Registered
2,226 Posts

So I should junk it ?

Your description of the chip is somewhat vague. Is the chip on the edge of the glass or the face of the glass? If on the edge I'd check with a glass place to see if they can sand and polish the chip away. I'd be more wary of glass with a chip on the edge, tempered glass loves to explode from edge hits.

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. At least it appears they corrected the fit problem and no bad reviews from the latest.
I sure hope they don’t stop selling windshields for our Opel GT’s.

·
GT Owner
391 Posts
Your description of the chip is somewhat vague. Is the chip on the edge of the glass or the face of the glass? If on the edge I'd check with a glass place to see if they can sand and polish the chip away. I'd be more wary of glass with a chip on the edge, tempered glass loves to explode from edge hits.
The chip is on a bottom corner and is on the face of the glass. So both an edge and face.

·
GT Owner
391 Posts

My new Pilkington windshield went in today and fitment was fine.

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
45 Posts
Bob, when had you purchased this Pilkington windshield? I have looked for them and they just responded to me and said they no longer have the Classic division that sold windshields for old cars. They referred me to Fesler Corp in Phoenix. I talked with a nice customer rep there and she called me back after researching for Opel GT's. She said that they no longer are selling Opel GT windshields and have no stock. Is there another vendor for us? Are they being made in Europe? Thanks.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,188 Posts
Hey Jay, Gordon Payton here!

Super tough to find now that Pilkington got bought out by a Chinese company. At least I think that's sort of what the story is. The bottom line is that now there is no one making GT windshields. There ARE earlier versions of GT windshields that Pilkington made, but they didn't get the curve right. We warn people away from those. But, now, I'll bet those defective windshields start to crop up. I have a windshield that I got recently that is servicable, but has primer overspray on it that wouldn't come off easily. I'm told that a razor blade, preferably plastic ones, would be needed to scrape it off. I paid $50 for it, so that's what I want for it, you would have to come here and get it.

I'm also planning on driving to Charlie's in Virginia on Friday to chop out and retrieve the firewall/floorboards from my old car. If you want, I could chop the tail panel/rear deck off and bring it home with me. Then you would only need to drive here to Philly vicinity in Jersey to look at both the body panels and the windshield.

·
GT Owner
391 Posts
Bob, when had you purchased this Pilkington windshield? I have looked for them and they just responded to me and said they no longer have the Classic division that sold windshields for old cars. They referred me to Fesler Corp in Phoenix. I talked with a nice customer rep there and she called me back after researching for Opel GT's. She said that they no longer are selling Opel GT windshields and have no stock. Is there another vendor for us? Are they being made in Europe? Thanks.
A little more than a year ago. Sorry to hear they are no longer going to produce GT windshields.

141 - 160 of 182 Posts