Opel GT Forum banner

161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,468 Posts

There is an option for coated poly carbonate windshields. These would be fine if taken care of.

I’ve been wearing coated poly carbonate eye glasses for years. They are far stronger than glass and modern coatings make more scratch resistant than uncoated glass. I’d imagine these windshields are similar.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts

There is an option for coated poly carbonate windshields. These would be fine if taken care of.

I’ve been wearing coated poly carbonate eye glasses for years. They are far stronger than glass and modern coatings make more scratch resistant than uncoated glass. I’d imagine these windshields are similar.
Glasses never have wipers going across them with wet road dirt as a lubricant.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Registered
761 Posts
Glasses never have wipers going across them with wet road dirt as a lubricant.
If they are more scratch resistant than glass, then they're more scratch resistant than glass. This includes those circumstances.

That said, I don't know if that's true, or I would suppose we'd be seeing more of them.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,495 Posts
Lexan is not more scratch resistant than glass. It just doesn't pose a safety hazard on a race car.

And yes, I think they had a few options. At the time, it was more expensive than Pilkington but I guess that's not an option now.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Lexan is not more scratch resistant than glass.
Correct. Lexan is soft and gummy and easily scratched.

Which is why the surface integrity of lexan depends on the coatings you put on it.

Which is what was mentioned. The coatings can make them more scratch resistant than glass.

·
Registered
496 Posts

Interesting. Despite the website referring to a GT as an "Opal GT", looks promising.

Anyone know of an GT with one of these installed?

·
Can Opeler
3,468 Posts
Interesting. Despite the website referring to a GT as an "Opal GT", looks promising.

Anyone know of an GT with one of these installed?
There were a couple guys on Facebook who had them. As well as one guy who dropped his GT off there to have the original made in 2004

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
There are custom glass windshield builders that could make them. When the problem becomes acute we might want to approach a few to get pricing for a group buy.

·
Opel Key Master
5,216 Posts
I ordered 7 windshields at the end of 2019, all from Pilkington. I called my guy and he did confirm that Pilkington no longer has a classic division. Didn’t get sold to anyone, just closed it down. No I don’t have any spares for sale. Glad I insisted customers ordered them though

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
There were a couple guys on Facebook who had them. As well as one guy who dropped his GT off there to have the original made in 2004
I gave a windshield to Travis from NH back then and he sent it to them.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
I'm glad to be a hoarder.
I have a GT that needs a windshield. And I have a windshield in my bedroom closet.
After this, though. YIKES!

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
45 Posts
I have not been able to find a current source for new Opel GT windshields in the US. There are companies that will make plastic windshields. I see that Susselbeek lists clear ones. Has anyone purchased these and what was your experience with them? Thanks.

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
I have not been able to find a current source for new Opel GT windshields in the US. There are companies that will make plastic windshields. I see that Susselbeek lists clear ones. Has anyone purchased these and what was your experience with them? Thanks.
They do not have a good reputation for online orders and shipping to the U.S.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,188 Posts
It's not looking good for getting new GT windshields in the coming years. The only company making them, Pilkington, got bought by an Asian company and has discontinued production. For a long time none were available and it was worth it to buy a whole parts car just to get a servicable windshield. Then about 15 years ago Pilkington started making them, but the ones made during the first 5-10 years had fitment issues where the glass bends at the sides. Some of those might still be out there and you would want to verify the manufacturing date before buying them. That's often not easy to do. I still have the half decent one I got recently, but it has a thin dusting of primer overspray on it that would need scraping or polishing off.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have a new one I bought 4 or 5 years ago, but I have no idea if it is the new or old style. I didn't try to use it because I thought it was supposed to be tinted but it's clear. Since it's clear and I don't know what style it is, I would take $100 for it if anyone wants clear and is willing to take a chance. But you would have to pick it up in MO. I won't ship it.

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
45 Posts
i had not seen that, and it may be the original source. This was only from last November, but maybe things changes since that. Maybe Charles will comment. The one I am talking about is misted by Suselbeek for 291E which is about $265 US, plus shipping. Seems like a good deal at the present time. But I want to make sure this will fit properly. Thanks.

161 - 180 of 182 Posts