Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may sound weird but was wondering if anyone out there knew of a transmission that would fit this engine that would allow a transplant into my 73 GT. I ask because this car was given to me several years ago by my brother and has survived him, my two daughters, and several fender-benders. Car has 165K on it and works well but car itself is trashed (interior shot, paint shot, windows / hatchback / doors leak, etc.) and it is currently in need of a starter. Anyway, since I have an entire donor car, is there some way to use this or is this car bound for the "been a good car and done it's job" scrapheap? Thanks.

Richard

·
149 Posts
Do you know what bolt pattern the engine used? I might be able to make a few suggestions if I knew what bellhousings would work.

Darrin

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure the bolt pattern as the engine is still in the car. I was kind of hoping there was someone out here who knew the engine type and could state the various transmissions it would fit. I am not prepared to transplant engine AND transaxle and turn my GT into a front-driver. Yuuucckk! But, since I AM cheap, and I have this perfect donor car (meaning I really don't care what happens to it), I thought I might be able to swap.

Richard

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
It's a Mazda engine. Get a Miata tranny.

Bob

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not to be negative, but working engine doesn't mean works right. I've had modern cars with working engines that had several failed components (usually sensors). The computer keeps adjusting for each failure and the engine keeps running. I'd check the codes before you start. This doesn't sound like a well maintained grandma's car.

165k is a lot of miles for a transplant. You have a LOT a work to do just to get it in. Then there's the fuel and electronics issues. Before you start I'd look at the price of rebuilding the engine. I doubt you want to spend months (or years) doing a transplant, then have the engine last a year. It's always best to estimate the cost before you start, add extra for unknowns.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
If you like the engine and find a clutch/tranny assembly for it, you are gonna need to make a list of what to do and figure out the work/time involed (and add 10%). Example:
1) overall length of the engine/tranny in comparison to the old
2) mounting changes involved (+fuel lines, clutch, carb-side setup, engine alignment, driveshaft yokes)
3) Time without car
4) MONEY!
It may be alot easier in the long run to small-loan a long block.
My 2-cents.

·
299 Posts
a miata has the same engine faamily which also uses the same bellhousing as far a performance a good port polish and three angle valve job does wonders also you can get adjustable cam sprockets
also you can do a turbo setup because there are products for miatas wouldnt be a bad swap and im hate fords

1 - 7 of 7 Posts