Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Everyone,

I've been thinking about this idea for a few days now. Some tools are a little expensive for one time jobs but are necessary to do them. I was wondering if there is interest in creating a forum tools rental? Tools I'm thinking of already are a leaf spring compressor and a BHJ honing plate. These aren't tools you'd need normally but when you do, it would be nice to have a way to rent them instead. I plan on buying a BHJ honing / torque plate anyways for my 2.4L build but after that, I wouldn't have a regular use for it. My idea was the cost to rent a tool would be insured shipping both ways plus a small rental fee. So the tool has to be returned to the person who owns it and in a reasonable timeframe.

I know the idea comes with some risk when loaning out a tool, but I think some of that can be avoided here on the forum. There are members here I'd trust to loan out a specialty tool, some I've met in person.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Alright I'll jump down the rabbit hole. Personally I'd be happy to become a opel tool leasing agencies inc. how ever there's not a big market for it.
The other concerning problem is one's space worth reward and keeping stock ect.
But what would be interesting is if one could create a running track/network of stock that could INSURE that, that running stock was kept track of
And was maintained too, as it was intended design & reliability
And in the event this tool is destroyed and deemed unrepairable/unreplaceable?
How would we go about a replacement AND who pays for that LOL
I get it but I don't see a way

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wouldn't be a business. I'm thinking more along the lines of tools someone already has or needed to buy to do a task anyways. If you have a tool that is rarely used, it could be loaned out to others who need it. The understanding would be if it was damaged while in your care, then you'd have to either pay to replace it or repair it. Again, it's not meant to be a business. Just forum members helping each other out when needed with some foresight into how to go about it.

I will need to buy a honing plate anyways but I won't be building engines all the time. So, I wouldn't mind having a way people could ask to borrow it. I think people would rather pay like $120 to borrow it, than to pay $550 to buy it. Or tools like the spring compressor, I'll need to create one but that's a tool I could loan out since I won't use it regularly. Sure, there is a little risk when loaning someone your tools. But regulars that I see on here all the time, I wouldn't mind it.

If I wanted to remove the issue of risk and treat it more like a business, I could go about it the way Autozone does. You pay for the tool upfront and then once you return it and there isn't a problem, you get most of the money refunded to you. So the honing plate for example, you'd pay $500 plus the shipping costs both way. Once it's returned safely, you'd get the $500 back. This community is pretty small, if anyone screws anyone else over... the whole community is going to know about it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I think current and future shipping costs will dampen the savings aspect.
Exactly where I was going next.
I've often had the same thought as Autoholic and DO think in it's self is a genuinely thoughtful idea for all our member's as a whole.
As an example I have a well built (I think) transverse leaf spring compressor I built and modified from others original build from this site.
Because I'm curios I'll try to weight it today just to get an idea but that sucker is heavy and a bit awkward as far as packaging for shipping.
Now I'd have no problems with it becoming we'll say ( the traveling spring compressor) as I have no need for it at the moment and don't see a need in the immediate future at this time.
Having said that there are many other less bulky and cheaper ways to achieve this spring removal or replacement but I personally felt much safer using the one I built as it is designed to do both ends at the same time keeping your focus on the center of the tool at one spot to increase or decrease the pressure of the spring. And the bottom portion is designed to hold the center of the front end assembly firmly without any chance of mishap or worry about a pitman puller popping off or breaking or the clip letting go.
Now as you know Keith (opelspyder) has used his design utilizing the pitman puller very successfully and to date I believe he has never had a problem other than when he lent it out to someone else and they managed to break it. ( I would have to believe that was user error).
Now as far as smaller easily and cheaply shipped tools I think would work well.
If folks were willing to allow others to rent/borrow them. From experience I personally would have a bit of mental struggle loaning certain tools out only because I have and when returned broken or no longer usable SORRY just doesn't cut it.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,684 Posts
I think that's why a lot of rental type tools (from all trades) seem to be over built. And I've still had to return some on occasion because some prior to me really bunged them up.

Reactions: JudokaJohn

·
Super Moderator
13,725 Posts
I think current and future shipping costs will dampen the savings aspect.
My thoughts too!

Imagine the costs to ship a cast iron honing plate back and forth across the country. I’m estimating $50-$70 each way.

Reactions: JudokaJohn

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
After reading the post again I think I see the hidden agenda here.
Does anyone have a honing plate they would allow Autoholic to borrow LOL

·
Vendor
2,844 Posts
Shipping would be a issue for the big stuff, but it may make sense to compile a list of any small specialty tools that people would be willing to share. Stuff like steering wheel pullers, serrated drives for the head bolts, flexible screw drivers for reaching the dash screws, or anything else you may have fabricated to make the job easier. Kind of in the spirit of the famous "can of keys", where the borrower pays shipping, and someone on the forum (Autoholic?) acts as the curator.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The honing plate costs $500 before shipping. So, even with say shipping coming to $140, plus say a $30 rental fee, that still beats buying it to use it once. I don’t buy the shipping costs argument against this idea, at least for some tools.

and I don’t mind buying the honing plate. But I’d rather it got used more than once or twice when it cost $500.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Shipping would be a issue for the big stuff, but it may make sense to compile a list of any small specialty tools that people would be willing to share. Stuff like steering wheel pullers, serrated drives for the head bolts, flexible screw drivers for reaching the dash screws, or anything else you may have fabricated to make the job easier. Kind of in the spirit of the famous "can of keys", where the borrower pays shipping, and someone on the forum (Autoholic?) acts as the curator.
For some tools, yes shipping costs might be high enough that you're better off buying the part. The can of keys was the inspiration for this, actually. I wouldn't mind being the curator of a thread for tools people could borrow. I do understand some tools, people would want returned. Some other tools, maybe the owner would be fine sending it out and then it just keeps getting forwarded onwards. One of the requirements would be that you post a photo when you received the tool and then another photo when you are shipping it. Helps document damage should that happen.

Something people might not be thinking of though, is that this could be a solid reason to ask Keith for the dimensions of Kent Moore J tools and then reproduce them. These tools can be very hard if not impossible to find, however they are usually very basic shapes that would be easy to reproduce. Having these tools accessible to the community could be very helpful.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,684 Posts
Edit: My thoughts are redundant with Autoholics. He got there first. My comment about VS..I still can't access sub-forums on my android. So yea, a thread that is accessible somewhere would be just as good.

I think the small stuff is where it can get tricky. For example, the serrated (triple square) bits like these. I can get them from Amazon cheaper (maybe) and probably faster than getting them from another member. Basically, for the shipping from one member to another, especially if it was Miami to Seattle, I can have the set. This is the same set I bought 30 years ago, so it's not like it's the cheapest stuff in the world.
Amazon.com: Lisle 60750 Wrench Set: Automotive

Maybe for items like this we have a new Opel specific tool sub-forum in that each thread would be a specific tool/purpose and where to get it. It would be easy to update if suppliers/part numbers change. Also, easy to modify at home tools (the ground down 15mm box wrench for removing the four speed comes to mind). And the loan-a-tool program could be part of the sub-forum, theoretically with who made it and who has it, shipping dimensions and the shipping cost from person to person (makes it easy to see how much it will cost you). Oh, yeah...Vertical Scope....nevermind.

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Wait, is it not possible to add more sub-forums?

But, again, some Opel tools are unobtanium. And others, like the spring compressor, I might be able to design one that comes apart easily enough so shipping would be like $25 one way. The all-thread that would be needed when building this tool, along with the nuts and what not, those parts add up. This tool gets a little expensive. Go look at 12mm power transmission parts on McMaster-Carr. I know you can build this tool for cheap, but engineers will always over design it for safety.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,684 Posts
Wait, is it not possible to add more sub-forums?
I don't know if that is within the moderators range or not. Even if they can, my Android (V30 LG) can't see a lot of them. VS has basically said 'Sucks to be you". I only have full access to the forum on my desktop. So many people have smartphones and some don't even have a desktop/laptop.

·
Vendor
2,844 Posts
Edit: My thoughts are redundant with Autoholics. He got there first. My comment about VS..I still can't access sub-forums on my android. So yea, a thread that is accessible somewhere would be just as good.

I think the small stuff is where it can get tricky. For example, the serrated (triple square) bits like these. I can get them from Amazon cheaper (maybe) and probably faster than getting them from another member. Basically, for the shipping from one member to another, especially if it was Miami to Seattle, I can have the set. This is the same set I bought 30 years ago, so it's not like it's the cheapest stuff in the world.
Amazon.com: Lisle 60750 Wrench Set: Automotive

Maybe for items like this we have a new Opel specific tool sub-forum in that each thread would be a specific tool/purpose and where to get it. It would be easy to update if suppliers/part numbers change. Also, easy to modify at home tools (the ground down 15mm box wrench for removing the four speed comes to mind). And the loan-a-tool program could be part of the sub-forum, theoretically with who made it and who has it, shipping dimensions and the shipping cost from person to person (makes it easy to see how much it will cost you). Oh, yeah...Vertical Scope....nevermind.
Right. Obviously, it makes sense to buy new if the cost of shipping a borrowed tool exceeds the price of a new one. I guess the easiest way forward would be to start a list of stuff that members would be willing to lend out/donate and when someone actually needs one, they can figure out if the shipping cost is prohibitive. Anyway, I foolishly gave away a lot of opel specific stuff (including some fabricated wrenches) when I sold my last GT, but I noticed that I still had the Unitool puller. Shipping would probably be <$5. Call it item number 1 on the list. :)

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know if that is within the moderators range or not. Even if they can, my Android (V30 LG) can't see a lot of them. VS has basically said 'Sucks to be you". I only have full access to the forum on my desktop. So many people have smartphones and some don't even have a desktop/laptop.
Any mods able to comment on this? Can we create a new forum section just titled tools? It could be under the technical section and then we could just sticky some threads, like a Lend-A-Tool thread that is yet to be created.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,684 Posts
I'd love to have that puller...so much better than grinding down bolt heads. At least, I'd hope it would be.

There is also the idea of "The $100 Toolbox" (I just came up with that, it's now copyrighted and trademarked!. The premise is this, if a person, new to 'mechanicing' or not, buys a car they have no experience with budgets $100 for tools/materials specific to that brand or model (including the non-specific tools that are needed for diagnosing/fixing the issues that are specifically common to that brand/model), what should be on that list? This is the stuff they should buy and have, aside from the Loan-A-Tool Opelgram.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a great idea. I think $100 is a bit too low, or we could separate with like a $100 list, and then like a $500 list that builds off of that. Would still be a great idea to have a tools forum. Could be under the technical section or the Opel section. I think this would also avoid the smartphone compatibility issue, because it wouldn't be a sub-forum. It would be a major forum under one of the main categories. So, if you can access anything under the lounge, then this too should be easy to get to.

·
Registered
652 Posts
This sounds like a great idea. But, I want to play devils advocate for a moment. While it may not be an issue with a relatively tight group like this. We all know of, or have a friend who can not only destroy an anvil in a sandbox, but also has no clue how to use said anvil. Since most of us probably have dozens of tools we have made to do certain jobs. That doesn't mean someone else could take that tool, even with provided instructions and use it successfully. Some tools like the spring compressor could even lead to serious injury if used improperly. Which in the unfortunate litigious society of "it's not my fault" that we live in now days, brings up the possibility of a law suit against owner/builder, who was only trying to help.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
This sounds like a great idea. But, I want to play devils advocate for a moment. While it may not be an issue with a relatively tight group like this. We all know of, or have a friend who can not only destroy an anvil in a sandbox, but also has no clue how to use said anvil. Since most of us probably have dozens of tools we have made to do certain jobs. That doesn't mean someone else could take that tool, even with provided instructions and use it successfully. Some tools like the spring compressor could even lead to serious injury if used improperly. Which in the unfortunate litigious society of "it's not my fault" that we live in now days, brings up the possibility of a law suit against owner/builder, who was only trying to help.
You mention good points. I think it would help if we had YouTube videos showing how to use the exact tool that we are willing to lend out. At least for a tool like the spring compressor. We could also come up with a liability waiver that has to be signed and would be kept by the curator, with mods having access to the files. This would definitely be a use at your own risk, you take full responsibility for attempting a job on a vehicle as an untrained mechanic. We could make sure that the forum and the parent company are held harmless too.

Not all tools would require this, but definitely the spring compressor. An accident using that tool could result in serious injuries.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts