Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
2,694 Posts
That's a great idea. I think $100 is a bit too low, or we could separate with like a $100 list, and then like a $500 list that builds off of that. Would still be a great idea to have a tools forum. Could be under the technical section or the Opel section. I think this would also avoid the smartphone compatibility issue, because it wouldn't be a sub-forum. It would be a major forum under one of the main categories. So, if you can access anything under the lounge, then this too should be easy to get to.
yes, that would work. The $100 budget would be for someone buying an Opel and wanting to do more than just change tires and batteries, but maybe changing head gaskets and clutches and brake work. This is still way shy of rebuilding a motor or front suspension.

·
Non Civilian
2,090 Posts
What happens when someone invariably drops a $500 honing plate and it breaks? Is the borrower responsible for replacing it? What if they can't/won't? Is the owner just SOL? As great as this sounds it has some inherent flaws. If a price was placed on the tool and the borrower Paypal/Venmo's the money for it, then when it is returned after the tool is returned in good condition, this has a better chance of working out.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,694 Posts
Same as at AutoZone where you pretty much buy it, then return it...you break it, you buy it.
That does bring to mind, shipping insurance would be mandatory. Otherwise, what happens if it gets lost?

·
Can Opeler
3,425 Posts
Same as at AutoZone where you pretty much buy it, then return it...you break it, you buy it.
That does bring to mind, shipping insurance would be mandatory. Otherwise, what happens if it gets lost?
Correction at autozone you rent it with cash, you break it, you return it, they don’t check it, you get away clean and they give the broken one to me.

·
Registered
348 Posts
This is what happens with so many tools we fabricate, they become garage art. I built this spring compressor with the help of my welding buddy. When I rebuilt my front suspension last winter I purchased the sport spring from OGTS. I used this compressor one time and it performed flawlessly. I doubt I will ever use it again. If someone in the midwest has the need, all they would have to do is stop by and pick it up.

Paul in Michigan

Attachments

·
Detritus Maximus
2,694 Posts
Correction at autozone you rent it with cash, you break it, you return it, they don’t check it, you get away clean and they give the broken one to me.
Yes, you are correct.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I believe I mentioned insured shipping in the first post. For a honing plate, that would be at least $500 in insured value. Something like that, would be shipped in a rugged box I think and there would be a prepaid return label. So, the shipping charges would be controlled by whoever owned it, which could be me. I already thought about the Autozone example, so to borrow it you'd have to pay to replace it up front. That also gives incentive for careful use and handling, unless you want to lose $500. Now, it would have to go to the machine shop so it does wind up in other people's hands. It would be the borrower's responsibility to deal with the machine shop to pay them back.

So, that's how I'd deal with loaning out a honing plate and similar to a spring compressor with the added liability waiver. If someone isn't comfortable with those terms, then they can buy or fabricate the tool themselves. Now we just need a new forum for tools.

·
Opel Key Master
5,182 Posts
Also another problem that comes up is a lot of times the Renter wants it for future use, but doesn’t make it a priority to do the job, then they have it for a year or better. I will on occasion lend out a spare tool, but I make sure they understand it belongs to me, and that under no circumstances are they to lend it out. I have a torque plate I’ve borrowed, but the second the owner needs it, I will pick it up from the machine shop and hand deliver it. I make it a point now to never loan any tools. For one, I have some of my own Kent Moore tools I need to replace because they were broken by my own employees. We use them, but I find they get damaged when used in an incorrect application. Fortunately they were fairly common and I could find them

·
Administrator
10,146 Posts
The honing plate costs $500 before shipping. So, even with say shipping coming to $140, plus say a $30 rental fee, that still beats buying it to use it once. I don’t buy the shipping costs argument against this idea, at least for some tools.

and I don’t mind buying the honing plate. But I’d rather it got used more than once or twice when it cost $500.
I had a honing plate and recently gave it to All Cape Machine Shop in Hyannis, MA.
I'll see about setting up a new forum.

·
Administrator
10,146 Posts
I'm not a mod, but I wouldn't mind becoming one to moderate this new forum. I like it, and I think it will help us put tool related knowledge in one place. Thanks for creating it!
Welcome, you are now the moderator for this forum.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts