Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Upgraded Wannabe Knowital
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was looking around my grandparents' today, and found an Opel 1900 that my grandmother blew the engine up in years ago. The body and everything but the engine is in good shape. I was just wondering what year it was, and if there is anything I should know about them? I'm thinking about buying it from them to help them out. I would like to maybe restore it, or turn it into a rally car (if I could find some place around here to do it legally.) Anyway, I found an old V6 I think that was setting near it, a 2.8L. I assume it came out of it, but it was of course blown. Would a GM 2.4t or 2.5t fit in it? Or is there something better to swap in? Here's some pictures of the body and the engine near it. I'd also like to know what year it is if that's possible. It's a 2 door with an orange paint scheme. Opel Pictures

·
Senior Contributor
874 Posts
The Opel 1900 had a 1.9L 4 cyl engine. The 2.8L you show in the picture was not from this car. The body looks to be in great shape, how long had it sat? Is it in a barn or something? It doesn't look like it sat outside, but is all covered in vines or something.
Others here will be able to tell you great detail about the year of the car.

·
Super Moderator
9,671 Posts
coriolisstorm;
It's a 75 Ascona A 1900 sedan, and asdasc is right, the 2.8 is from another car. It will fit, but, not without a LOT of modifications. But, the 1.9 is no slouch, if properly built and tuned.
Gene

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hmm its just been sitting outside all these years. The last year on the tag was '84 so it has been sitting out in the elements since then. Like I said though, the engine that was in it was blown. No sign of it lying around anywhere either. What's the best engine to swap in it? I know the original 1.9L would be easiest, but how rare are they in junk yards? I think it will be a good rally car or just a dd for better MPGs than my Jeep and something different and probably better for winter since the hard and soft tops on jeeps hold the hot air in so well. </sarcasm> Any idea what I should offer him for it?
Oh yeah, and in my first post, I meant Chrysler 2.2 or 2.5 turbo. And I thought engines were only hard to fit in Jeep engine bays... At least we can fit a longblock.

·
Super Moderator
9,671 Posts
I have plenty of motors here. So, they're not that hard to find. I'd offer them $100 for it as it's probably going to take a bit of work to make it road worthy.

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of engines will fit w/ minimal mods? The 1.9L does not sound too hot, and driving a 2.5L Jeep is awful too, so I'm looking for something reasonably fast. Anyone ever done a Euro style turbo diesel? Maybe a VW engine? (I know there's lots of performance stuff for those.)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Opel Diesels

Welcome to this site.

Have a search around here putting "Opel Diesel" into the box that opens when you click on Search in the top menu bar.

Opel made lots of diesel motors - and still does. The early ones were based upon the same type of block as the petrol motor and early on there was a record breaking GT that Opel fitted with one of their diesels.

A four cylinder diesel conversion is sure worth investigating!

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, a search did not turn up much of anything.
What applications was it used in here in the states?
Does it get good enough MPGs to worry about it over the 1.9L?
Diesel here is a good 30-40 cents higher than gasoline right now, and gasoline here is still higher than the national average. Diesel is still $2.40-$2.60 per gallon and gas is anywhere from $2.20 to $2.50 within a 50 mile radius.

·
530 Posts
Opel only imported gasoline engines to the US, so no diesel Opels here. I think that Isuzu brought in a diesel iMark for awhile, which shares its platform with the "Opel Isuzu," German Kadett C and US Chevette, but I'm not sure if that would be an easy swap into the 1900 Ascona. I would also think that finding an iMark diesel would be pretty tough. The regular Opel 1.9 CIH engine is a pretty decent engine. It gives enough power to tool around without encouraging ticket inducing behavior, yet delivers pretty decent mpg in the mid 20's (see another thread on mpg). The 1.9's are very reliable. Try seeing if someone nearby would let you take a spin in their Opel with the 1.9 and you can see for yourself if it meets your needs/desires. Good luck with the car - loooks like a nice find!
-Jeff W
'75 Manta
'73 Manta

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a guy on a jeep forum I visit whose wife had an Opel GT who put a Ford 2.3L in it. I would like to check out a ride w/ the 1.9L, but as far as I know, (and I've looked) this is the only one around. The 2.3L sounds pretty good actually, and he said it only took a few mods for it. Are transmission lengths and shifter linkage lineup an issue with these? (This is driving me nuts! Length is the only issue on jeeps, and all this other stuff is getting me confused. I think it has an auto right now, so it has to go for a manual.)

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
actually a few people on the site have done the 2.3L turbo engine swap. just search on the site i know you will find someone, i was going to do this to my gt but just decided that i really didnt want to tear it all apart again.

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry guys, just a few more questions before I go through with this. Anyone ever done an AWD Opel? That's a great interest to me whatever vehicle I check into. I was just wondering about t-cases, front axles and the like. I've found a good deal on a New Process 229 (now New Venture), where I can get it for shipping, I'm just wondering how easy it will be or if the case is too long, or if a front axle can even go into an Ascona.

·
Opeler
35 Posts
AWD is not equal to 4WD. A transfer case is strictly 4WD as it distributes force 50/50 front to rear. A great set up for mud bogging or rock climbing. AWD uses a set of clutches to ensure power is set to wheels with the most traction, in a straight launch, maybe as much as 70/30 Rear/Front, and so on, this set up is what I believe you are looking for. I had the exact idea for a project this summer, a 1900, mixed with an early nineties Scoobie 2.5RS. I have not read if anyone else has tried this, and haven't looked into it much myself with my work being hectic lately. anywho, hope this helped.

·
1000 Post Club
4,106 Posts
BQS4 said:
coriolisstorm;
It's a 75 Ascona A 1900 sedan, and asdasc is right, the 2.8 is from another car. It will fit, but, not without a LOT of modifications. But, the 1.9 is no slouch, if properly built and tuned.
Gene
It could be a '74. If it has a carb, it is a 74. If it has fuel injection, it is a '75. If the wheels have 4 slots, it is a '74, 8 slots, '75.

You can't compare a Jeep 2.5 to an Opel 1.9. The Jeep engine is a cam in block and is set up for torque, not speed and the Opel engine in a cam in head and set up for speed, not torque.

Jeff

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, I know that AWD does not equal 4WD. The NP 229 is a full time unit therefore it is an AWD when in 4 hi but has an option of locking both outputs to 50/50 when 4 Lo is engaged, and has a 2WD option as well. A 4wd Opel does not make much sense to me, but AWD might be something... And yes, the Jeep 2.5L and Opel 1.9L were bad comparisons. :ugh:

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
No...if you look at the face of the wheels you'll notice the raised area that is silver forms a "cross" or "+" shape. Jlthunder is referring to the fact that the 74 wheels have one long "slot" or hole in the recesses between each leg of the "+" (4 lugs, so 4 holes or slots). On the 75 wheels, there are two slots or holes in these areas (totalling 8 slots or holes). The slots he is referring to are areas where air flows through the wheel, NOT the holes through which the lugs pass. The 75 "8-slot" wheels are also a half inch wider.

Hope this makes sense. If not, someone will post a pic I'm sure.

Todd

·
Viking
862 Posts
neuropel said:
someone will post a pic I'm sure.

Todd
No problem. And it has no copyright either:haha:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts