Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enclosed are a few pictures of what I found in the woods a few miles away from me today. 1972, 1 owner. The bad side is the car has sat outside for the last 2 years and water has gotten in. Not much, but enough to mold up the inside. I am puzzled by the data plate, and looking at the VIN Chart, still can't quite figure out what the -A-L after Opel Gt means. Anyone help? I've seen another like it the first of the week. The earlier one is a donor car for sure. So bad, I didn't take pictures. Body was good, interior shot, engine in, don't know if it will turn over. If anyone is interested in the latter, let me know and I do some more investigating. Thanks, Jarrell

Attachments

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
my gt is a 1972, it has that same thing on the vin plate were it says opel gt a-L
dont no if that means something specail, looks like u could steal some nice parts off that probally gauges and the tail lights lens since those look like there some other sort of lens, they dont look like the 73's, also those front headlights there was a thread on that a while back maybe someone would be able to take those and see how well there desinged, it also looks like its got a pretty straight bumper and hood, looks like a nice donor car to me wish i could get it but i live in cali.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I got it today. Just a matter of getting a trailer to haul it home on. The other one (donor), I haven't contacted yet. If you want pictures of it, I'll take some and get some more info on. Just PM me, and let me know. I'm just below Danville Va. off US 29. Jarrell

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Good pick up on the car. OOH Danville, used to be home of that monstrous graded trestle. I've seen pics of it and wow is all I have to say. Happy new year Jarrell

·
415 Posts
What are your plans for it? Parting out or are you going to put it on the road?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wolf Spyder said:
What are your plans for it? Parting out or are you going to put it on the road?
Don't really know as yet. It has some rot on the lower quarter panels, not too much and was hit on the upper right rear. It is all fixable. I have a Red 73 that was gutted, primered, and is ready to be restored. I need to start on it first. Jarrell

·
239 Posts
fixed recessed headlights!!!

Yep, one week later and someone has found a GT with the rotating headlight buckets removed and a plastic/or are they glass lenses??? It looks pretty good with fixed lights, permanent cure for anymore getting stuck in the dark without headlamps!!! :cool: Thanks for the post!!!

Rick

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rick, they are plexiglass and the guy made a bracket to hold the lights in the proper position. I'll take a couple of pictures when I get it here. Pretty ingenious though. Even passed State inspection too. It works, but to me isn't very pretty, if you understand what I mean. Jarrell

·
239 Posts
You've got a better veiw than us!

Jarrell

I trust your judgement of the installation as you have the better veiw! There is a place here in Northern Cailfornia that deals in plexi glass and their add says they can almost make up anything. I was thinking of a plexiglass pod the shape of the buckets, maybe with the twist in lamps instead of the stock glass type. It's very interesting that someone has at least tried something simular to what my minds eye invisioned!!! :cool: I know that the original buckets are cool, but as everyone I know all cars with these retract features break and have there drawbacks...a lot of the Jap stuff has one light up and one light down. I really do beleive that to keep the original rotating buckets removing the cable and latches and installing a electric actuator would be less troublesome as they would move slowly open and close and not be subject to the rapid stopping and starting and tortion of over coming latches that wouldn't be needed aymore as the actuator would keep them full up or close once rigged properly with a limit switch/switches.

More pic's would be great and thanks again!!!
Rick

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Well the car finally made it home. It was pouring down rain when we unloaded it so I tarped it. I just came back from taking some pictures of it which are enclosed. The bottom rockers have some rust. The Drivers rear has rot about 4 in in dia and the frt right has the same. The floorboards appear to be solid. The drivers side control arm pulled loose about 2x2 in when we tightened it down on the rollback. The drivers side rear brake drum is locked up, which is par for the course.
The headlight covers, which are made of Plexiglass, are glazed over and are not that attractive when you look down into them. The PO said the actuater linkage got too tight for his wife to move, so that was the reason for taking out the buckets. I haven't really had a chance to dig into them because the rain started again.
Supposedly the car cranks and runs, I just haven't had a chance to try it because of the rain. All in all it appears to be Ok and restorable. Jarrell

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
1/2 Way There

soybean said:
I am puzzled by the data plate, and looking at the VIN Chart, still can't quite figure out what the -A-L after Opel Gt means. Anyone help? Thanks, Jarrell
Without a doubt the "L" stands for "Luxus" or, intranslation = Luxury just as it does with all other Opels which have "L" badges.

...Now of the "A" ........

"Die Mode llkennzeichnung laute t:

GT-A (93 - Normalausfuhrung)
GT-A-L (94 - Luxusausfuhrung)"

There is then some discussion about "Kadett-B"; "Olympia-A" und "Record-C"
so I believe the "A" is similarly used to indicate first model in the series.

Further down the same page:

"Die Produktion des GT-Coupe' begann im September 1968 mit der Fahrgestell-Nummer 1 551 000."

Good finds, Jarrell

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jarrell, if it will feel any better, that car appears to be in much better shape than Willit? was before I started on it. Yours appears to be recoverable to restore if you feel the desire. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts