Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may think I'm crazy but I'm desperate to prevent further rusting of my Manta & Ascona frame rails from the inside out. (as they're prone to do) So I devised this method that seems to work well. I drilled a small hole in the top of each frame rail in the engine compartment. Each time I change the oil...I put rubber plugs in all the other holes along the length of the frame rails...and then use a funnel to pour hot engine oil into the frame rails until they're full. When the oil cools...I pull the plugs, drain the oil and go on my merry way. When hot...the oil creeps everywhere and seems to keep rust from growing. Whether you view it as creative or eccentric...it seems to work. Anyone else try something similar???

·
Opeler
252 Posts
frame rails

well I know the engine compatment of my 1972 pickup truck is usually covered in a light layer of oil and there is no rust.

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
I believe there are commercial shops that specialize in rust "proofing" (as IF!) older cars, that merely drill holes in the door sills, inner fenders and other rust-prone locations, and spray in common engine oil. This is usually done yearly, or maybe bi- or tri-annually. It makes a bit of a mess for a few days as the oil drips out, but it's a lot more effective than many of the commercial processes (such as Ziebart) that rely on a corrosion "barrier". Often these products are tar based, and while fairly impermeable to moisture, will just trap in whatever is already happening. So if a bit of rust has already begun, it just gives it a nice damp spot to keep on corroding! With the engine oil (and a few shops now use a wax-based corrosion inhibitor), the oil displaces the moisture, effectively stopping further corrosion.

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil Spray

Keith - That's where I got the idea. There are shops...many in the mid-Atlantic region...that spray an oil mist on the undercarriage of your car for rust prevention. And as you noted, they tell their customers it should be done yearly. However...as you've also noted, once rust has started...the rust prevention processes will do little to stop it. And of the companies that do it...how many actually go inside the frame rails??

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
FLUID FILM® is a unique woolwax base product line
72 gt is that lanolin(baby oil)?

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
yeah, you're right. Have you ever seen a rusted baby?
Strangely though, this stuff smells like pine trees.

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
thats got to smell better than whats in there normaly:D :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone considered Great Stuff Foam? how well would that work inside the frame rails? stop most anything going in... trap whats in also...

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
A previous owner of my manta used this stuff to "repair" (and I use that term loosely!) the battery tray/fender well area. It was like a hard sponge, holding water up against the metal. I think the best thing you can do for these cars is keep the drain holes clear so that they can dry on their own, and coat any exposed surfaces you can get to with something like POR 15 to seal the metal.

·
www.opelgtworld.de
275 Posts
My grandfather used waste oil :)

I use Fluid Film with very good results.
Practice environmentalism...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts