Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize I'm posting this wrong but I haven't been on the site in years. The bottom line is I have a 73 Opel GT I started working on. New motor mounts 2.2L engine new exhaust etc. I'm moving to Germany and have to get rid of. It's free to who ever can come and get it. The car is in Gloucester, Va and must go in the next few days.
Arnold Smith
757-912-8984

·
Opeler
920 Posts
I apologize I'm posting this wrong but I haven't been on the site in years. The bottom line is I have a 73 Opel GT I started working on. New motor mounts 2.2L engine new exhaust etc. I'm moving to Germany and have to get rid of. It's free to who ever can come and get it. The car is in Gloucester, Va and must go in the next few days.
Arnold Smith
757-912-8984
Wow! What a deal. Any pictures??

What needs addressed on the car? Rust issues?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm 4 hours away. If you could throw up a couple pictures here that would be great. Thanks

·
Opeler
920 Posts
I texted the guy and here’s the info I’ve got so far:

From the give-away-er:

“I don't have pics. The car has been sitting for several years. The car use to run. I had removed the linkage for the throttle so no one would steal it years ago. It had a new paint job put on in 05 but sat since. Engine exhaust. Motor mounts fan computer all was new. Haven't worked on it on years. Can't find the title or keys”

Me:
Oh wow, that's tough. When the paint want done, was the bodywork done to eliminate rust or was it just a respray on top? You mentioned computer, is this fuel injected? Can you take pictures of it?

Give-Away-er:
“The body work was done also. There is some under body rust but not sure how much. The car is at my rental property. This is fuel injected. I hate to get rid of it but I'm going to start a new project car In Germany.I can try to get the renters to take pics. Its under cover in the driveway”

Hopefully this can be a good option for someone local. Too risky for my blood, especially at the distance without pictures.

·
Über Genius
8,966 Posts
The motor alone is worth gas money and trailer rental within 500 miles.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I welcome this trend of free GTs in running condition.

I dunno about "risky", jeez, it's a free car. A little gas to go get it and some free time. Provided you're not doing anything ridiculous like, oh, driving across the country from another country and combining two vehicles together into one under a deadline, free car sounds like you can't lose.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I sent a text to the owner this morning. No reply. I'm hoping he's waiting to get some pictures. Who knows....

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a good deal for someone in that area, feel a little weird just showing up somewhere and picking up a car with no title and owner not around. It’s too far for me without more details
"Free Lamborgini, parked outside my rental property. I'm leaving the country and just want it gone. No title and I won't be there with you. But it's parked at X address. Just show up and load it and it's yours."

... hmm....

... No officer! I'm not stealing it. He said it was free! No I don't know him, he just said so. On the internet of course!

·
tomking
2,464 Posts
Hello Arnold. Tom King here.I came to fort leonard wood years ago to help you get this car going.You were retiring as I recall. Now moving back to Germany where your wife is from. stay well.

·
Senior Contributor
4,977 Posts
Arnold helped me out many years back when he was in Germany. He sent me the first 6 cylinder intake that I cut down. Based on my experience with him he is a good Opeler and I would take his offer if I had room.

·
Opeler
920 Posts
Arnold helped me out many years back when he was in Germany. He sent me the first 6 cylinder intake that I cut down. Based on my experience with him he is a good Opeler and I would take his offer if I had room.
That’s great to hear. While I am interested in doing this, being 700+ miles away and saying “yes” to a free car that is sight unseen and hasn’t ran for 15+ years and has (maybe) been stored outside near a coast is quite a risk. If I could get some more info from Arnold, that would be great.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,442 Posts
Got with Arnold and will be pulling it Thursday. Have a friend with truck and trailer. Will see whats salvageable. I have a good stash of engine and Manta parts. But outside of the Red Baron body and a front nose. I don't have much GT parts to build the Red Baron with. So hopefully between the two a good GT can be salvaged. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts