Opel GT Forum banner

FREE 73 OPEL GT

3K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  V6Opel 
#1 ·
I apologize I'm posting this wrong but I haven't been on the site in years. The bottom line is I have a 73 Opel GT I started working on. New motor mounts 2.2L engine new exhaust etc. I'm moving to Germany and have to get rid of. It's free to who ever can come and get it. The car is in Gloucester, Va and must go in the next few days.
Arnold Smith
757-912-8984

#3 · (Edited)
I apologize I'm posting this wrong but I haven't been on the site in years. The bottom line is I have a 73 Opel GT I started working on. New motor mounts 2.2L engine new exhaust etc. I'm moving to Germany and have to get rid of. It's free to who ever can come and get it. The car is in Gloucester, Va and must go in the next few days.
Arnold Smith
757-912-8984
Wow! What a deal. Any pictures??

What needs addressed on the car? Rust issues?

#5 ·
I texted the guy and here’s the info I’ve got so far:

From the give-away-er:

“I don't have pics. The car has been sitting for several years. The car use to run. I had removed the linkage for the throttle so no one would steal it years ago. It had a new paint job put on in 05 but sat since. Engine exhaust. Motor mounts fan computer all was new. Haven't worked on it on years. Can't find the title or keys”

Me:
Oh wow, that's tough. When the paint want done, was the bodywork done to eliminate rust or was it just a respray on top? You mentioned computer, is this fuel injected? Can you take pictures of it?

Give-Away-er:
“The body work was done also. There is some under body rust but not sure how much. The car is at my rental property. This is fuel injected. I hate to get rid of it but I'm going to start a new project car In Germany.I can try to get the renters to take pics. Its under cover in the driveway”

Hopefully this can be a good option for someone local. Too risky for my blood, especially at the distance without pictures.

#6 ·
The motor alone is worth gas money and trailer rental within 500 miles.

#13 ·
"Free Lamborgini, parked outside my rental property. I'm leaving the country and just want it gone. No title and I won't be there with you. But it's parked at X address. Just show up and load it and it's yours."

... hmm....

... No officer! I'm not stealing it. He said it was free! No I don't know him, he just said so. On the internet of course!

#16 ·
Arnold helped me out many years back when he was in Germany. He sent me the first 6 cylinder intake that I cut down. Based on my experience with him he is a good Opeler and I would take his offer if I had room.

#17 ·
That’s great to hear. While I am interested in doing this, being 700+ miles away and saying “yes” to a free car that is sight unseen and hasn’t ran for 15+ years and has (maybe) been stored outside near a coast is quite a risk. If I could get some more info from Arnold, that would be great.

#20 ·
Got with Arnold and will be pulling it Thursday. Have a friend with truck and trailer. Will see whats salvageable. I have a good stash of engine and Manta parts. But outside of the Red Baron body and a front nose. I don't have much GT parts to build the Red Baron with. So hopefully between the two a good GT can be salvaged. :)

#22 ·
I spoke with him a few hours ago. I wanted to see pictures before I pulled the trigger. When he mentioned it has been outside under a cover for 15 years and the paint was cracking, that gave me pause to just say YES. He was a nice guy and was honest about what shape it was in. The pictures I got weren’t very clear, but the interior was a lot worse than he mentioned. He told me it was original, I didn’t know that it wasn’t intact. Oddly enough, it was an Indiana car he said, which is where I’m at; which also made me wonder about rust from here and then sitting outside on a coastal state for many years. I was trying to sort out the no-title issue and no key issue too. Between those things I felt like I needed pictures to pull the trigger. By the time I got the pics, he said someone claimed it. When looking them over, I noticed the red on the door panels and hood hinges, which tells me the paint job was a respray. As nice as the FI 2.2 would be, there was too much unknown for me. Hope it works out for Charles or whomever may end up with it after him. Here are the pictures I received...

#24 ·

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
I will say it was worth the drive. Lots of issues, but lots of good things. It is a solid body but will need media blasted to find out how good. But overall looks very solid. This is probably the third car ( third times the charm.. ?) that has come my way that I should have kept.

This time I have a place to store it.. so NO.. NOT flipping and its not for sale :) I hopefully have learned my lesson.

Reactions: JudokaJohn
#26 ·
Just the engine was worth the drive!

#31 ·
Titling it wont be a problem.. If there is a will there is a way..

#32 ·
Congrats Charles, restore that queen and give her life! Keep giving back t the Opel heritage my friend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.