Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Opeler
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont do this. Last night I was taking the freeze plugs out of the 1.9 I am rebuilding. I got in a hurry and decided to drive a punch through the plug and then pry it out. What I did was push the plug into the water jacket Now the fun part. For the next hour I went fishing with a coat hanger to get the plug to the back of the block where I could pull it through the top back water passage.

For the other freeze plug I drilled a 1/8 in. hole in it and put a screw in the hole and pulled the plug and screw out with a pair of side cutters. Much Much faster than the above fishing method.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Actually if you took a screwdriver and hammer, put the screwdriver on the inside edge of the plug and smack it with a hammer, one of two things will happen, it will pivot and be able to be removed, or the screwdriver will go through the plug and you can pry it out. Either way, the plan is to make sure you do not hit the center of the freeze plug. HTH for future use.

Ron

·
1,875 Posts
My left front freeze plug went in also. I used a small tool retriever magnet to get it back up and hold it and then pried it out with pliers and a screwdriver. It went real smooth

1 - 3 of 3 Posts