Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a buddy of mine had a cable laying around which he gave me....price was right :p ....free
It is one of those cheap Spectre universal cables found at PepBoys (and i'm sure other less than good parts stores :eek: ).

Made a couple of brackets and mounted it up. Works pretty darn well....wayyy better than the old worn out linkages!!

Here are some pics. Please keep in mind that they need to be finished up nicely, and painted. I didn't want to put too much effort into them until I knew that they would work.

Drivers side, connecting to the pedal link:

Lower angle of the driver side

Carby side:

Another of the carb side of the cable:

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
That looks like it could work. One suggestion? I would bolt the bracket on the drivers side directly to the body, rather than the engine, to prevent any engine movement from causing throttle actuation :eek: JM2CW

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about that......I left a bunch of slack in the cable, but at speed it may envoke unwanted throttle movement....I'll see how it works after a drive...lots more work to do first though....

·
1,709 Posts
Good job , Some times the need to drive is the motive to invent :D

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
seems to me you have done it the best way

mine is hooked up the same way.
I dont notice any throttle actuation from the engine twist, seems to me like throttle actuation would be worse if you mounted brackets on the body. the bracket, as pictured, by the carb, would move with the engine..to defeat throttle cable tightening from engine twist.you can have movement of the cable with out any affects, but not movement between the cable stops.

Nobody has a post on this, i copied it, this is how he does Dual side drafts cables.

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
opeldean said:
mine is hooked up the same way. I don't notice any throttle actuation from the engine twist, seems to me like throttle actuation would be worse if you mounted brackets on the body. the bracket, as pictured, by the carb, would move with the engine..to defeat throttle cable tightening from engine twist.you can have movement of the cable with out any affects, but not movement between the cable stops.
You might be referring to the second (manifold) bracket. I am concerned with the first bracket (attached to the drivers side of the head). The carb is opened by the RELATIVE movement of the inner cable to the sheath. There WILL be movement of the engine. Which will cause relative movement of the first bracket to the pedal linkage. Which will cause the sheath to move relative to the cable, and hence cable movement unrelated to pedal movement. Which CAN'T be a good thing. It might be slight (or not so slight) but why allow unplanned cable movement when the solution is as simple as attaching the bracket to the body instead of the engine.

JM2CW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts