Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whud up

how do i can i tell if the front axle is bent. becuase i was in a wrech about a year ago with my black gt. and i need to now if its bent. thanks guys
aaron

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
When you say axle, are you talking about the full frontend or are you talking about the spindles on the ends?

Take it in to have a wheel alignment. They will be able to tell you very quickly all the specifics that are related to the front end. They'll be able to tell you the full impact of anything that has moved the front end.

For the do-it-yourselfer, find a point under the car that should be the same distance away from the same point on or near the kingpins or a point on the lower arms.

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
It almost sound like he is talking about the front end being twisted.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Body shift? :confused: That would be a hard hit on a short uni-body, eh? Let's see.......Sears or Midas! They, and a few others, can do a 4wheel alignment check and tell you if you have a body-shift problem. I think that's pretty rare for this type of body, unless you had it sitting on a tube frame. You may have a twist in the front leaf, that would show up in a front end check.My 2c's any-whoo.

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
axle

no its not 4wd. i just did know what the front axle was called. i had my balck gt 4 about 4 days. i drove all the way to austin tx, to get. the put a new rear axle in it , window winders, and a couple of small things. and one day "the last time i drove it", i was doing about 50mph and this white ford
wagon pulled a left trun in front of me and slam. i hit right in to the side of her car. i tryed to drive the car off to the side of the road and the carburater
linkage broke. and i could not trun the wheel to the left because the body of the car was smashed in to the tire. and thats why i think the front might be bent. i had this car for only 4 days. thanks for your help guys
aaron

·
587 Posts
Aaron,

If your car was hit from the side & knocked the fender in to the wheel, I wouldn't think it would twist/bend the front crossmember or frame area. They are pretty heavy duty, sturdy pieces. If anything your alignment may have been messed up. The control arms may have gotten bent slightly since they are kind of flimsy on the Opels.

As suggested, have an alignment shop check & see if it is in spec or can be put back in. If not take it to a shop with a frame machine to check. They may have the specs in their books or computer. I think the specs are in most of the Opel FSMs too.

~ Tom C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts