Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hellllllloooo everybody!!! Well, Im making progress on my baby. Ill post some pics in a day or so. Right now I am at a crossroads though. I've checked my Ball joints and Tie rods and such and they all seem to be good and strong. They all have less than 10,000 miles on them, just been sitting around for a long time.

So, im just going to replace the boots that go over them. I also have those nice Poly bushings for the controll arms. Anyway, the question:

Is it really a HUGE PITA (Pain in the a..) to get those dang bolts out of the control arms if I dont take the whole front end out? Or would it really be worth my while to drop the whole thing?

Keep in mind that there is no motor in there right now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I personally did not remove the front end on my GT to replace the control arm bushings with the new poly from OGTS. There was one onery one though I wound up taking a torch with a rosebud tip to it then it slid right out, just years of rust and neglect. So no you don't have to, but remember it is going to be an easier job of cleaning and inspecting all parts for paint prep. if the front end is out. So I get to do all that pretty soon myself but I just can't bear to be without it. Even though it looks like Frankenstien right now!Also I get to use the excuse of saving up to buy the POR 15 etching solvent and underbody paint kit. I guess when I have that I will need to make up a new excuse. Well have fun! :D
RITTER

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front end

I've had one person tell me that those Bolts are pretty long and don't like to cooperate when you try to take them out when they are under there and are obstructed by the wheel well. Did you have that problem? Or, was there enough room to remove them fairly easily?

·
Registered
98 Posts
yes they are long but on my '70 i didn't have much problem with clearances the only problem is using the punch on the bottom of the bolt head to drive it out. It is a tight area and if i remember right i did smack the crap out of my hand once with the 8 lb. sledge (always use the biggest hammer to get the job done right :D ) but other than that there was no problem, they do get close though!( you will actually be able to pull the bolt out towards you a little once you have it through one end then grab it with some locking pliers and apply a twisting pulling motion to pull it out the rest of the way) You will probably be happier in the long run just dropping the front end first, then they are a less of a pain ...( I believe the whole process upper and lowers both sides took me about 2 hrs.)(that is not including bleading brakes and etc.) and as before it is always nice to inspect the bolts holding everything together, sometimes (like in my case ) you'll find that bolts have worn quite a bit. On the '73 GT i have i can see that one of the control arms has worn almost completely through the bolt, and in the process eggshaped the holes in the control arm ( complete lack of preventitive maintenance on previous owners part) the whole front end will be replaced on that car before my wife drives it. But all in all I would reccomend dropping the front end.Mainly because you already have the engine out, and you might find some bolts along the way that make you say Holy **** am i glad i took i took this thing out!
RITTER

1 - 4 of 4 Posts