Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Opeler
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting my GT road worthy again after 10 years spent primarily in the garage. I was taking a look at the front end last night an noticed that at a minimum, I need to replace all of the rubber boots (ripped, torn, rotted, etc.). Don't have a whole lot of experience with steering/suspension so I was hoping to get some advice on the following:
1. With no grease fittings, what is standard procedure for lubricating the various front end components?
2. How do I tell if CV joints & other misc parts need to be replaced?

The car drives nice and straight, but it seems the steering is a bit looser then it used to be.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
Yoda,

The FSM states that there is no lubrication nessasary for the front suspension on the GT. i dont agree with this, parts should have grease fittings. there are some special little needles you can buy, altho i'm not sure where, that allow you to use them on your grease gun. you just poke the needle into the rubber and pump away until the rubber bulges as normal. this probably woudlnt be a good idea with the old rotten boots on your suspension. i had to use some of these on 2 of my GTs and on my 82 chevy truck, and they work well unless you have dry rotted boots, as it tends to split them.

you can have a "helper" (AKA your kid or wife) turn your wheel back and forth slightly, while you roll under the car and watch the tie rod ends, rack, ect. anywhere there is freeplay, is worn, and therefore needs to be replaced, after any front end parts are replaced its manditory to have a front end alignment performed, be carefull where you take the opel to get this done, as alot of places either cannot or will not do a full front end alignment. GTs don not have CV joints, all you'll need to check for in the steering is basically the tie-rod ends, rack and pinion and the steering knuckle joints. somebody else here will have to enlighten you on how to check the balljoints.

you can adjust your steering rack to make the inner gears mesh tighter and get rid of steering slop if you have any. there will be a aluminium nut with a steel larger nut, loosen the larger steel nut and turn the smaller aluminum nut down until all slack is removed, and tighen the larger steel nut back up to lock the adjustment, there may be a pic on here and this would probably help alot.

PS: check your wheel bearings also, make sure they are adjusted properly and packed well.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Yoda, check out OGTS, they have everything to replace the front and rear suspension rubber, either original rubber or newer poly bushings, and new rubber boots and the steering rack mounting rubber. But before replacing the front suspension do a search on front suspension removal, that front spring can be a real killer if not taken out correctly.

·
Opeler
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. OGTS offers a set of all new boots for about $35. Think I'll check for freeplay in the mechanism and if all looks good, just replace the boots and get a needle fitting for my grease gun.

Not sure what I was thinking when I typed CV joints. I meant the ball joints.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.