Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my front lighting harness is roached. I cut it half way down the engine compartment to create a new harness.
I had a few questions...

- Are the large round lamps the turn signals? And if so, I thought they were fog lights :)
- what are the chances the micro switches are good? I think to remove and mechanism to get to them will be a nightmare. I can either re-wire them to the existing harness pieces I have left in, or re-route a new switch to turn the head lights on and off from inside the car.
- Is the inside lighting switch the high beams, and if so I thought the floor foot switch was it :) and that I believe is the washer fluid...

Thanx.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
my front lighting harness is roached. I cut it half way down the engine compartment to create a new harness.
I had a few questions...

- Are the large round lamps the turn signals? And if so, I thought they were fog lights :)
- what are the chances the micro switches are good? I think to remove and mechanism to get to them will be a nightmare. I can either re-wire them to the existing harness pieces I have left in, or re-route a new switch to turn the head lights on and off from inside the car.
- Is the inside lighting switch the high beams, and if so I thought the floor foot switch was it :) and that I believe is the washer fluid...

Thanx.
The turn signals are round but are about 4 inches wide, with usually yellow lenses in them.
The micro switches were OK on mine, but I replaced them anyway. OGTS sells them and taking the headlights out again does not sound like fun to me.
If you plan to keep your car stock, then rewire it to the headlight relay just like the original.
I am not sure what you mean by the inside lighting switch for the high beams.

You will need a good wiring diagram specific to the year of your car, and from there you can figure out what wire goes where.

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
4,882 Posts
I had a few questions...

Thanx.
Do it right the first time, don't cheat. The only headlight switch is the microswitch that turns on the headlight relay when the light buckets are open, there is no switch inside the car other than the hi/lo beam switch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanx.
Yep that toggle switch on the dash area I thought was a high low toggle switch.

I have some really good wiring diagrams from OpelGTSource, where I have purchased a ton of stuff, including the headlight connectors.

Now that I have the headlight buckets out of the car, is there a good way to get to the micro switches?

Do I remove the headlight mechanism assembly , and if so will that cause any issues with putting it back on and the headlamp for it turning.

Thanx.

·
Opel Key Master
4,835 Posts
Thanx.
Yep that toggle switch on the dash area I thought was a high low toggle switch.

I have some really good wiring diagrams from OpelGTSource, where I have purchased a ton of stuff, including the headlight connectors.

Now that I have the headlight buckets out of the car, is there a good way to get to the micro switches?

Do I remove the headlight mechanism assembly , and if so will that cause any issues with putting it back on and the headlamp for it turning.

Thanx.
A few things, you can purchase a complete factory style harness for a replacement that will take it all the way to the fuse box. I’m currently backlogged with making them, but Opel Unlimited has some of mine in stock I’m sure. You have to remove the mechanisms to get to the micro switches. I don’t like the ones that GTS is carrying now because the terminals are smaller, and require different connectors.
If you search on YouTube for Opel GT Headlight install, you should find about three videos I did on installing them and overview of the headlight mechanisms as well

·
Senior Contributor
4,882 Posts
If you are moderately mechanically inclined, taking the mechanisms out should not be an issue. There are access panels in the front wheel wells so you need the front wheels off in order to get to them. I believe the small panels are held by three screws that are under the undercoating so you will have to look carefully to find them. You will also have to disconnect the operating cable and the clamp that ties the two sides together that is in front of the radiator. The driver's side is the most difficult because the master cylinder is in the way of one of the nuts if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few things, you can purchase a complete factory style harness for a replacement that will take it all the way to the fuse box. I’m currently backlogged with making them, but Opel Unlimited has some of mine in stock I’m sure. You have to remove the mechanisms to get to the micro switches. I don’t like the ones that GTS is carrying now because the terminals are smaller, and require different connectors.
If you search on YouTube for Opel GT Headlight install, you should find about three videos I did on installing them and overview of the headlight mechanisms as well
Opel Unlimited doesn't have pictures of the harness, do you have any? What is the quality level and I'm assuming it has all the wires and connectors for original 1970 Opel GT configuration.

I'm interested but it is a little pricey.

I'll try finding the videos.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s the highest quality TXL color coded wire harness you can buy. Hard to take a picture of the harness, but this is how it will come
nice. do you sell them directly? To save a little :)

I assume the headlight connectors are off to feed the line through. I have replacement connectors.

·
Opel Key Master
4,835 Posts
nice. do you sell them directly? To save a little :)

I assume the headlight connectors are off to feed the line through. I have replacement connectors.
No savings, but normally I would say yes, but we are so back logged, that is why I let you know he had them in stock. Also yes connectors are off to allow install.
If I recall he is selling them at $199.00?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts