Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
GT front license brackets

MICAH1 said:
Anyone out there with a extra front license plate bracket in your spare parts heap that you would like to make a profit on????
GT front license plate brackets are welded to the front bumper support frame (to which the bumper mounts). Yours were probably cut off by PO. :eek:

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Micah, I have the same problem, the PO cut them out, and did a lousy job in the process. What I did, was remove the center screen below the bumper and bolt the licensce plate to it and put it back on the car. I was real careful to center the plate on the screen, for maximum air flow. HTH.

· 1971 GT
639 Posts
Micah1 - I have the whole assembly in one piece that I could send you if you want it. PM me if you're interested.

Corey

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
This is what a stock front license plate mount looks like, for those who didn't know.

· Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the info on the front license plate bracket. I live in Indiana and we don't have front plates. When I ordered my last new car I specified no front license plate bracket. Got a nice clean bumper( plastic cover) with no holes in it. I honestly didn't even pay attention to it on the OPEL.

· Registered
78 Posts
GT front license plate brackets are welded to the front bumper support frame (to which the bumper mounts). Yours were probably cut off by PO. :eek:
Yep, and personally I think the same thing should be done to the front "pair" of any Opeler who does so. :evil: In some (most?) states, front license plates are the law .. what are we supposed to do if those tangs have been torched off? :confused: My White Opie arrived from AZ in that sad state (I guess those are one of the no-front-plate states?) and the only thing I could do was wire the front plate to the center grill piece w. some bailing wire. However, (1) it is a bit hard to see back in there (= could get pulled over for it) and (2) I'm wondering if it is impeding important air flow/cooling in that location ..

· Living in the past
2,340 Posts
Front licence plate brackets

Yep, and personally I think the same thing should be done to the front "pair" of any Opeler who does so. :evil: In some (most?) states, front license plates are the law .. what are we supposed to do if those tangs have been torched off? :confused: My White Opie arrived from AZ in that sad state (I guess those are one of the no-front-plate states?) and the only thing I could do was wire the front plate to the center grill piece w. some bailing wire. However, (1) it is a bit hard to see back in there (= could get pulled over for it) and (2) I'm wondering if it is impeding important air flow/cooling in that location ..
After a number of years, the brackets either get bent, rust off or get removed in any of several ways. The simplest method is two L-brackets from the hardward store, a couple of washers and a couple of pop rivets. Drill the bumper mounting bar, put the washers on the L-bracket and put the pop rivets thru the washer and L-bracket and squeeze the handle. If you want to make them removable bolt them to the bar instead of pop riveting them.

· Thread Killer
315 Posts
Thomas....I just bought the part you need (ft bumper and license bracket), because I wanted to cut the brackets off to have both....The Missouri plates are just horrible, blue birds and all....I got nothing against blue birds, just don't want them on my car.

I would be more than happy to ship this one to you and you just send me the one you have with no brackets if that is what you want...

Always an option for you from me....

Donh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.