Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Opeler
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed for years that the GT does not use the front side markers for dual purpose marker and turn signal. Most modern cars have the turn signals very visible from not only the front but the sides. Given our GTs only have the little round lights under the bumper for this purpose, it leads one to question why not the side markers.

Thus my question: has anyone modified the marker housing to accept a dual filament bulb? I don't think it should be that hard and I plan to try this mod in my restoration project.

·
Registered
140 Posts
side indicators

Hi
I have got rid of my front amber curved lens (keeping the grill indicator lamps) and am planing a small round chrome bezel indicators about 1 1/2" dia of fiat origin mounted high on the front fender between the wheel arch and door. I think it will be visible but blend in to the body shape giving a clean look.

·
Senior Contributor
5,052 Posts
Mine are combo running lights and blinkers but I did it with LED strips.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I've noticed for years that the GT does not use the front side markers for dual purpose marker and turn signal. Most modern cars have the turn signals very visible from not only the front but the sides. Given our GTs only have the little round lights under the bumper for this purpose, it leads one to question why not the side markers.

Thus my question: has anyone modified the marker housing to accept a dual filament bulb? I don't think it should be that hard and I plan to try this mod in my restoration project.
Yep! IIRC, there was either a thread on here somewhere or it was in an old OMC writeup linked from here. I'll take a look at the articles I copied but it has been done (and will be again). :yup:

Doug

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,348 Posts
Personally, I don't like the idea of removing the turn signal function from the front can lights and transferring that function to the lame, barely visible from the front, banana lights. Do you really want oncoming traffic to have difficulty detecting that you're making a left turn in front of them? The banana lights are mainly visible, well, from the sides, only people driving right next to the front of your car would notice your turn signals in the banana lights.

A better idea would be to make BOTH the front cans and the banana lights be Park and Turn Signals simultaneously. I guess that's what you're planning to do. As far as those can lights being "little round lights under the bumper", well, I think they're HUGE. If you put the 47 LED bulbs in them they'll be brighter than your headlights.

JMHO

:veryhappy

4,231 Posts
Personally, I don't like the idea of removing the turn signal function from the front can lights and transferring that function to the lame, barely visible from the front, banana lights. The banana lights are mainly visible, well, from the sides, only people driving right next to the front of your car would notice your turn signals in the banana lights.
Here in Europ all the time the banana lights is the turn signal light.
But the european housing have a reflector behind the 21W turn signal bulb.So you can see the signal better fom the front!

Blinkerreflektoren Opel GT , Satz

·
Opeler
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, I don't like the idea of removing the turn signal function from the front can lights and transferring that function to the lame, barely visible from the front, banana lights. Do you really want oncoming traffic to have difficulty detecting that you're making a left turn in front of them? The banana lights are mainly visible, well, from the sides, only people driving right next to the front of your car would notice your turn signals in the banana lights.

A better idea would be to make BOTH the front cans and the banana lights be Park and Turn Signals simultaneously. I guess that's what you're planning to do. As far as those can lights being "little round lights under the bumper", well, I think they're HUGE. If you put the 47 LED bulbs in them they'll be brighter than your headlights.

JMHO

:veryhappy
Gordo, that is exactly what I am asking......making both locations dual function. The bottom can already has dual function so the focus of the thread is how to make the side marker dual function.

·
Opeler
3,720 Posts

A better idea would be to make BOTH the front cans and the banana lights be Park and Turn Signals simultaneously.
Here in Europ all the time the banana lights is the turn signal light.
But the european housing have a reflector behind the 21W turn signal bulb.So you can see the signal better fom the front!
I fully agree. When I installed LED fog lights instead of round turn signals, I moved turn signals to the banana corner lights. The result was disappointing as the turn signals were barely visible in the daylight. Smoked lenses did not help, too. I have eventually installed very bright LED bulbs which has improved the visibility but I also replaced fog lights with the type that has bright "Angel Ring" built in. I use those rings for the front turn signals and still have fog lights (mostly used as running lights).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
PJ, what is the purpose of that red circular ring in your grill?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
This is tow hitch. Little bit for a bench racing but needed when loading the GT on trailer as I removed front bumper.
Very nice! I thought maybe it was a "grenade pin" for a nitrous bottle :yup:

·
Senior Contributor
5,052 Posts
Although I have the "Cool" factor in my lights because of what I did I agree that they are not really bright enough in the daylight. I need to change the small bulb in my Euro driving lights to dual filament so that I can continue to use them as daytime running lights and then add the blinker function.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,348 Posts
Gordo, that is exactly what I am asking......making both locations dual function. The bottom can already has dual function so the focus of the thread is how to make the side marker dual function.
Well, then, it's simple, just go out and buy a dual filament 1157 socket from the auto parts store and mod it into the assembly. Goop is a great general purpose adhesive you could use to hold the socket in place. Lots of guys have done this mod. PJ's multi-function(fog lights, daytime lights, turn, and park all in one) mod sounds even cooler and Jeff's LED strips idea has all sorts of potential. With LED strips, bars, rings, etc. you can think outside the box and totally eliminate consideration of the old school reflectors in our lights.

The PO of my car deleted the bananas, so I couldn't do some of the ideas you guys can. I worked with what I had:

Front all lit at night from a distance (1).JPG Front all lit at night from a distance (2).jpg Front all lit at night from a distance (3).JPG Front all lit at night from a distance (4).jpg Front all lit at night from a distance (6).JPG Front all lit at night from a distance (7).jpg Front park and turn lights lit.jpg

·
Opeler
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like the dual element socket and bulb mod would be the easiest plus you could always upgrade to the LED 1157 bulb equivalent in the future. I like the LED strip idea as well. Thanks everyone for the input!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been looking for the LED strips. Did you buy them like that already or did you make your own strips?

·
Senior Contributor
5,052 Posts
I've been looking for the LED strips. Did you buy them like that already or did you make your own strips?
They were made by Destec. Unfortunately the owner and designer has passed away. If I were to do it again I would use a dual led bulb for running light and blinker. All you have to do is replace the socket with a dual contact socket. It would be better and easier than what I did. Naturally you have to do a little bit of wiring changes but that is easy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They were made by Destec. Unfortunately the owner and designer has passed away. If I were to do it again I would use a dual led bulb for running light and blinker. All you have to do is replace the socket with a dual contact socket. It would be better and easier than what I did. Naturally you have to do a little bit of wiring changes but that is easy.
Perfect. Thank you so much. I'll change out to the 1157 socket

1 - 20 of 24 Posts