Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using the drawing that Bob L. produced for this problem I decided to lower the front ride height of my GT. Since a neck injury is keeping me away from Carlisle I had to do something or go nuts so I decided to fab up a set of these shackles because the front of my GT just sat way too high. I finally got the energy to install them today and they did a great job of lowering the car, it looks just like I want it to. There is one little problem though. When I turn the front wheels too far left or right they the spring shackle is hitting the tire rim. I've included some pictures here in the hopes that someone can tell me what I did wrong.

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
It's worse than you think! The shakle now allows the spring eye to move in and out as the spring flexes so the contact area will move further outwards as the suspension compresses. Looks like you need larger diameter wheels to give a bigger openning for the bits to move out into while going over bumps.
Another option, which has been discussed before - but not done by me - is to narrow the spring eye and us parallel side plates for the shakle (or is it shakel??) which are a bit shorter.
On the bright side - there won't be any squeeks from that poly bush (lots of teflon grease there!).

This is the only pic I can find of the same area - looks like aftermarket wheels and offset further outwards gives more clearance.

You may have to consider suitable wheel spacers to use stock rims.

Attachments

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GTJIM, You basicly confirmed what I already suspected. I'll get some wheel spacers for the short run and when I decide on what new tire and rim combination I want, I will allow for the extra travel. It really did a nice job of lowering the front end......... even if I can't really drive it yet. :eek:

BTW, what rim and tire size are you running?

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the factory stock spring and I fab'd the shackles. I really like the new stance, it's just a matter of making the wheels work now. But in the end it will be worth it. It always bugged me that it sat so high in the front.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without going to the shop and crawling under the car, I'd say I have about an inch to an inch and a half clearance. I may cut the bump stops down some just to allow more room before bottoming out.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Washout said:
BTW, what rim and tire size are you running?
BBS 15" X 5 1/2" rims with 195 x 50 x 15 Pirrelli tyres - rims from scrap bin at local car dismantlers $1.70 a kilo! - new tyres though.

Want to keep the tyre height the same as stock for speedo accuracy (it is a law requirement that you do not change tyre height here) and also kept the width down to ease the steering.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Garrymc, I crawled under the car and measure 1 and 1/4 inch between the tips of the rubber bump stops and the frame. I think you could probably cut off another 1/2 inch from the rubber stops before getting into the bolt that they are molded to. Given the current rim clerance problem I haven't had a chance to drive the car to see how much the front end will travel now. I have to believe that without the biding that was built in from the factory that the front end will probably want to travel quite a bit vertically. Tommorrow I will try to drag the local junk yards for some 15 inch rims,

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
The rims I found were off an Nissan Skyline some of which had them as standard fitment - yes German BBS wheels on Japanese Cars as standard!
I got the caps from a mag wheel dealer in New York and they were German parts in Nissan boxes with Nissan part numbers! Good luck with your search!
There is a pic of one of my wheels in my gallery.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
geomtry

More of a question, what does the shackle do to the front end geometry? I did the lowering spring and I was told to reverse the upper ball joints. Is this needed when you do the shackle? Seems to me that it would be. I would hate to see you wear a new set of tires funny or have other problems associated with doing this.

·
242 Posts
Washout said:
Garrymc, I crawled under the car and measure 1 and 1/4 inch between the tips of the rubber bump stops and the frame. I think you could probably cut off another 1/2 inch from the rubber stops before getting into the bolt that they are molded to. Given the current rim clerance problem I haven't had a chance to drive the car to see how much the front end will travel now. I have to believe that without the biding that was built in from the factory that the front end will probably want to travel quite a bit vertically. Tommorrow I will try to drag the local junk yards for some 15 inch rims,
Thanks for the info. Let us know how you feel the shackles effect the ride quality.

I fear you will not find any 15 inch rims with a 4X100 mm bc that will have a low enough ET. Most will be FWD type offsets. I sometimes see a BMW 14 inch rims that would fit good on a GT. Take a look at the RWD Impulse alloys, they are mostly 14X6 ET 24, I think they would fit good if you can get used to the style.

Garry

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
"et"

Quite right garymc! The offset on the Nissan rims is ET42 but with 20mm spacers this brings it back to 22mm and the scrub radius about the right place again for the GT. Fortunately they will fit real well with the Impulse diff I am going to use and also the front discs/spindles from the Impulse too.
I figure if the whole brake package is used from the same car then it should be more balanced. The Isuzu front discs are 256mm diameter, 16mm thick ventilated rotors that are far lighter than the original GT ones - which, with the BBS rims, will lower the unsprung weight significantly. Just recieved a phone call to say the rims are polished and ready to pick up so will be able to weigh them and compare with standard ones today!

PS: My other passion IS Isuzu Piazzas' (as Impulses are known here). I have become used to the "tic-tac-toe" mags on the Impulse but it does not do much for the GT - even though they fit! One of the spare Piazzas has a real nice set of Enkil mags but they are only 13 X 6 size :(

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
73Manta72gt, I installed the shackles with a stock set of rims and they rub as you can see in the first picture. Tomorrow I will try to get a set of spacers and see how much they help.

·
Opeler
882 Posts
jordan said:
Darn, Still a great idea if you have aftermarket rims.
Since this is fresh in your mind, and you may have made some measurements, what do you think is the minimum wheel diameter for the shackes to clear? 15" assuming same backspace? Remember, going from 13" to 15" is a clearance change of only one inch. I've been meaning to get back to the project of finding wheels so I can use my shackles.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.