Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of changing my control arm bushings, and having trouble putting the leaf spring back in place, is there a few hints on doing this job without a spring compressor?. The one side is in the lower control arm but when I jack up the other side the end bolt for the spring won't line up and if I put that end bolt in I can't jack up the part to bolt the clamp around the leaf spring.
Is it possible to use a come-along , when we try to jack up the lower control arm the whole car begins to come off the jack stands. What can I do?.
Thanks, Mike

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
It's kind of a matter of positioning where you place your jacks, and it is best to use two. I had the same problem until there were two of us working on both sides at the same time and rate. Even then we were both using pins and pry bars to get it to position. When I tried one end at a time the second end was too far out to even try to get it to fit. If you get enough give from one side to at least get a drift into the opposite bolt hole then you can pry it around to fit. That's just one of those oportunities to experience something really special your car has to offer.

·
240 Posts
Hi,
Last year I replaced all my front bushings too. I did it one side at a time and never fully removed the spring...but I used a thick block of wood and a floor jack placed between the center of the spring and the spring eye. You will want to use a block of wood that is long enough to bridge some of the arch of the spring. Use the weight of the car to compress the spring for you. If your engine is out it may not be heavy enough to do this. I had 2 floor jacks and 2 stands supporting the front. If it falls on you it will hurt. :eek:

Clear as mud ???

Garry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts