Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
frot sway bar

any one out there have a good set instructions on the instillation of the front sway bay? with pics pls?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have one of those sitting in my garage, still in the box. I think there are some pictures on this forum showing how it mounts. I just haven't had time to mess with it.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
opel sway bar

i have several photos for the ogts-opel 1 in front bar..do search..type
'bucky and sway bar'...also in my members album under 'bucky'

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
photo 1

bear ..is this what you need?there is more on this site

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
initial setup

I have the addco sway bar and was wondering if I need to have the weight on the front wheels (vs. jack stands under the frame) when I initially set up the mounting position of the sway bar (i.e. drill the holes)??

·
184 Posts
The car needs to be up on ramps, level with the suspension normally loaded to setup and install the sway bars.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
level?

i dont know if it needs to be level .mine wasn't.

flipper told me it wasnt necessary.

i jacked mine up. i took the wheels off.I put the bar on.

it is the opel 1 in bar,not the addco.

fwiw:i also heard the bar cant compensate for an unlevel car.i dont believe you can level the car with the bar if there is an existing lean.

it is is great...the front bar is sweet. I dont have a rear bar on yet..
but the front bar levels the car in a corner..it is not more "rough" in ride.no negatives.

OPEL rules

·
184 Posts
My understanding or take on this (I'm no expert, so let the pro's correct me) is that the bar wants to be installed on the vehicle when the body and suspension are normally loaded and at rest.

This sets the neutral, non-active swap bar position. The idea is that the bar will bend/twist opposing the upsetting forces during suspension travels, always trying to return back to it's rest state.

If the bar is installed with the suspension sagging due to the body being jacked up, when the wheels hit the ground when taken off the jack, the sway bar will be somewhat twisted, bent or basically "loaded" and not in a neutral rest position. My Addco directions specifically stated NOT to jack the body of the car when installing the bars.

I used ramps to do my installs, and even lifted the opposite side (be it front or back) of the car I was putting the bar on with a floor jack, to be certain the relative suspension loading was equal by leveling the entire car while it was up in the air. How important is doing this, I don't really know. Just sharing how I installed my sway bars. If you're happy with how your car handles, that's all that matters.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
directions...

jimsky..1-what you say makes some sense

2-the written directions are almost always correct.

therefore:- i guess i could level the car...loosen the end links....then retighten..

did your instructions say how tight to tightened the end links?

it seems you could torque or twist the bar due to uneven tightening of the end links.

jimsky: ps I am porting my manifold..did you ever put a "metal diverter" in the bottom of your intake?

·
184 Posts
I don't have the swaybar instructions anymore, but I don't think any specific information or setting was provided on the relative tightness of the end links.

I did not install the diverter in my ported intake manifold. I just did the best job I could using RallyBobs photos as a guide. Personally I think the ported intake is the best bang of the buck bolt on performance enhancement you can make. Have fun doing the porting work, and enjoy the additional HP you'll get with this mod.

·
Super Moderator
13,818 Posts
RE: the swaybar being preloaded.

This is very critical. Critical enough that when corner-weighting a racecar it is typical procedure to disconnect the sway bars, otherwise they can cause a bind and can severely affect corner weights (spring loads on each tire).

Just FWIW....

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
rally bob

i am lost.

in brief could you explain how a swaybar should be installed.

preloaded?..how are the end links best adjusted,,there is a lot of latitude in torque or non torque of the endlinks

thanking you in advance.

·
Registered
456 Posts
just today

This thread got me to finally install the front swaybar (Addco) that has been in a box in my garage for awhile. Seemed to go together fairly easily, just drilling a few holes. I did it with the front wheels on ramps and the rear end level to it on jackstands. They said to adjust the end links just tight enough that the spacer sleeve in the middle can still be turned by hand.

This thing makes a big difference in cornering.

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
Has anyone had an issue with fitting the front sway bar on a GT. I am test fitting mine and it seems to hit the verticle ribs on the engine cross member. The way it is fitting I am going to have to hammer a few flat spots, which I don't want to do.

Attachments

·
1,973 Posts
My sway bar hits the ribs as well. If they are left alone the sway bar can bind a little.

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
It's a OGTS bar in the pics..

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
My sway bar hits the ribs as well. If they are left alone the sway bar can bind a little.
So what do you do, just let it bind? I was thinking of adding a 1/8" shim behind the verticle part of the bracket, which would also go up behind the poly bushing, and then elongating the hole in the horizontal part a little to be able to make the bolt. I don't think moving it forward would affect the way it behaves in the car since the link end bolts are so long. What do you think?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts